+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lap top v raspberry pi

I'm tony.

Default lap top v raspberry pi

Folks looking for some advice.

I run a cheapo acer lap top with all my CDs ripped lossless utilising fubar as a player (thanks Gary!)

Spotify premium for streaming-my son installed an app that lets me control the lap top with a HP tablet.

Im using a very short usb cable (lavri) and TQ Claymore DAC.

Would a Rpi with suitable power supply (linear?) out perform the lap top?

Can I get a PI that lets me output usb to the dac and if possible utilise my lossless music from a memory stick.

Im a computer numptie that was using a long usb with the laptop for years-to great effect....the remote operation with the tablet frees me up to experiment.

Whats yer thoughts folks?

I'm Grant.

Maybe yes and yes
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Pavel.

In short: the USB output on the Pi is notoriously flaky. A laptop is probably much better for audio applications.

I'm tony.

The acer is about a year old and much quieter electrically than the old dell i had been using for years.

My sons mac is better than the acer but not a grand better!!!

Just wondered if the pi was a solution.

I'm Grant.

up to you but in your position i would likely get jriver 23. works pretty good. long cable to your dac and the jriver remote app for controlling it. its easy to use and sounds pretty good. wont cost much either
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    The acer is about a year old and much quieter electrically than the old dell i had been using for years.

My sons mac is better than the acer but not a grand better!!!

Just wondered if the pi was a solution.
    A pi is a much better solution than a laptop as a dedicated music streamer, but does require the right firmware, and you'll need to see if your particular DAC is supported...the pi is not 'notoriously flaky', but like any USB connection it requires the appropriate drivers.

I'd recommend piCorePlayer as a very robust O/S providing LMS/Sqeezelite capabilities

What DAC are you going to use?
    Cheers, Will

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    the pi is not 'notoriously flaky'
    Well have to agree to disagree then. The USB ports on the Pi sit on the same bus as its Ethernet chip and are electrically very noisy. I also experienced audio dropouts when Ethernet is active due to bus contention.

In my experience, a Mac mini was much better than the Pi when used with USB DACs.

Of course, the Pi is brilliant when used with an SPDIF board or an I2S DAC.

Just my 2 pennies :-)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Well have to agree to disagree then. The USB ports on the Pi sit on the same bus as its Ethernet chip and are electrically very noisy. I also experienced audio dropouts when Ethernet is active due to bus contention.

In my experience, a Mac mini was much better than the Pi when used with USB DACs.

Agreed

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post

OK point taken...I'll bow to your experience RE. USB

I'd also second your SPDIF board suggestion, the best I've heard from a pi was via a hifiberry digi+ pro SPDIF board with isolation...
    Cheers, Will

I'm tony.

Dac is the one built into my TQ claymore that i use as a pre.

Best dac ive ever tried ,so really want to utilise it with a pi if possible.

The question regards memory stick with pi-i would rather use solid state than a spinning drive if possible.

Dont have a clue regards operating systems tbh....or computers in general.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast