+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: lap top v raspberry pi

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post

Only real difference is that, all told, the Pi twins were all in all a damn sight cheaper than the Mac ..... and that does count for a lot when all's done and dusted.
    Not if you have a spare Mac or MacBook lying around as many long term Mac users do ... I’ve owned at least one Mac (usually more than one) continuously since 1985. The one I’m using for music is 9 years old and with a fast SSD drive in works like new.

But that’s not the only difference, user interface is important as well. And the fact you don’t have to faff with clicking it together and burning images and all that DIY stuff some people seem to love.

I'm inactive.

... although the Pi does have more of an inclination to crash (often) than my Mac (never)

I'm inactive.

[QUOTE=montesquieu;952893]Not if you have a spare Mac or MacBook lying around as many long term Mac users do ... I’ve owned at least one Mac (usually more than one) continuously since 1985. The one I’m using for music is 9 years old and with a fast SSD drive in works like new. [/ QUOTE]

... that went well up until you mentioned the SSD - which on it's own costs more than a complete Pi+DAC+case set up.
    Both my Macs have SSD grafted in - and they didn't come cheap.

But that’s not the only difference, user interface is important as well. And the fact you don’t have to faff with clicking it together and burning images and all that DIY stuff some people seem to love.
    Really not such a big deal - unless you are a complete computer numpty, in which case a well fettled Mac with SSD and a decent digital player would also be a challenge.

I'm Colin.

Reading back over this thread I get the idea that using a portable hard drive which draws its power from the source would not be suitable. A desktop hardriv3 conn3cted to a Raspberry pi would be better
    Colin

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin2040 View Post
    Reading back over this thread I get the idea that using a portable hard drive which draws its power from the source would not be suitable. A desktop hardriv3 conn3cted to a Raspberry pi would be better
    Colin
    you can use a pi hub
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Colin.

Thanks grant that looks perfect. Have a good portable and this looks lik3 the solution

I'm Grant.

Thanks grant that looks perfect. Have a good portable and this looks lik3 the solution
    ive used one before with a little portable hdd. worked well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Colin.

Using this thread to glean some more info. I believe that the pi3 won’t come with a power supply but I know there are many out there. Is there a generally accepted power supply or is it worth buying something like an Ifi power supply? And best usbs to use / source if it makes a difference. I will look at Vol7mio forum for info but thanks for any useful info.

Colin

I'm Geoff.

Using this thread to glean some more info. I believe that the pi3 won’t come with a power supply but I know there are many out there. Is there a generally accepted power supply or is it worth buying something like an Ifi power supply? And best usbs to use / source if it makes a difference. I will look at Vol7mio forum for info but thanks for any useful info.

Colin
    Very pleased with this to drive my Rpi3/Digione setup.https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi...a-p-11364.html

Geoff

I'm Colin.

Was just looking at this, literally but not sure I want to spend this just now. Would like to get system workin* then look at “upgrades”

But it would meet the brief

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast