+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: lap top v raspberry pi

I'm Gary.

Tony...
    naa.

No offence to any of the happy Pi users but I tried a good one (built in linear supply etc) and to me its a case of ‘not so much’.
    Buy cheap pay twice?

Time to step up your digital mate to match the rest of your kit.
    Dont need to oay a fortune either.

My recommendation:
    Small but powerful computer running Roon server software.
    Roon membership.
    Roon interface running on your tablet - choose music from that not a laptop.

Cant recommend Roon highly enough as you know, need to get yer arse over here and I’ll give you a demo.
    This setup is as close to a music ‘appliance’ as you’ll get.
    Trust me, you dont want to be around when you need to mess about with Linux on a Pi, drive you Benny Bongo.

Do it once, do it right mate.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Tony...
    naa.

No offence to any of the happy Pi users but I tried a good one (built in linear supply etc) and to me its a case of ‘not so much’.
    Buy cheap pay twice?

Time to step up your digital mate to match the rest of your kit.
    Dont need to oay a fortune either.

My recommendation:
    Small but powerful computer running Roon server software.
    Roon membership.
    Roon interface running on your tablet - choose music from that not a laptop.

Cant recommend Roon highly enough as you know, need to get yer arse over here and I’ll give you a demo.
    This setup is as close to a music ‘appliance’ as you’ll get.
    Trust me, you dont want to be around when you need to mess about with Linux on a Pi, drive you Benny Bongo.

Do it once, do it right mate.
    Which one?

Geoff

I'm Gary.

One that one of the AOS members built and sold on Geoff, a v2 I recall.
    Was a while back so maybe not the latest dac, but knowing Tony as I do I’d steer him away from one.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Rich.

None of the above...

Get a Chromecast Audio, wire it toslink into your dac.

Honestly, some fowk on here cannot handle owt simple and the more you have to tinker with it the better it sounds right?

Well that's bollocks, Chromecast is cheap, works well.... If you want to faff on then buy a fancy PSU for it or spend the money on drink and hoors for all the good it'll do ye.

The pi crowd are a bit mental if you ask me.... They'll come round one day and realise there's bugger all to be gained by faffing around with this stuff.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    One that one of the AOS members built and sold on Geoff, a v2 I recall.
    Was a while back so maybe not the latest dac, but knowing Tony as I do I’d steer him away from one.
    I'm intrigued by your comment, "buy cheap, pay twice". As a development economist the notion of a performance/price ratio is hardwired into my dna. Remind me how much an annual subscription to Roon costs and how this compares to the one off purchase price of the RPi system you auditioned?

I am not disputing that Roon is a polished user interface, but frankly I believe it to be hugely overpriced. Additionally, I have compared my own RPi system to much more expensive digital front ends and have found it better in terms of SQ.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    None of the above...

Honestly, some fowk on here cannot handle owt simple and the more you have to tinker with it the better it sounds right?

Well that's bollocks, Chromecast is cheap, works well.... If you want to faff on then buy a fancy PSU for it or spend the money on drink and hoors for all the good it'll do ye.

The pi crowd are a bit mental if you ask me.... They'll come round one day and realise there's bugger all to be gained by faffing around with this stuff.
    I have a Chromecast Audio and I am very pleased with its performance in a good quality bedroom system. I doubt if it can be matched on any performance/price scale. However, it is not in the same league as either of my two RPi systems. Compared to the £30 I paid for the CCA, these other systems cost around £60 and £130 (including cases). Are they significantly better? Yes. Are they twice or four times better? No. However, for me the incremental costs more than justify the higher price?

Geoff (currently in counselling)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

None of the above...

gave me a chuckle, especially the highlighted bit. Not saying I agree, just that it gave me a chuckle.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    gave me a chuckle, especially the highlighted bit. Not saying I agree, just that it gave me a chuckle.
    Get off the fence! Are we or are we not mentally competent? I use this term in preference to the decidedly non-PC "a bit mental"!

Geoff

I'm Rich.

I tried the whole RPi thing with the fancy dac for it but what a carry on....

Chromecast into a half decent dac. Easy peasy. Of course you don't get the satisfaction of 'building' it or making a fancy case or trying a hundred different operating systems before realising that not one of them makes a difference sound wise but hey, if that's your thing, go wild.

I'll happily offer to bake off with anyone and put it to the test.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Will.

I tried the whole RPi thing with the fancy dac for it but what a carry on....

Chromecast into a half decent dac. Easy peasy. Of course you don't get the satisfaction of 'building' it or making a fancy case or trying a hundred different operating systems before realising that not one of them makes a difference sound wise but hey, if that's your thing, go wild.

I'll happily offer to bake off with anyone and put it to the test.
    ...how do you play your 'local files' (NAS, HD etc) with the CCA?
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast