+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: lap top v raspberry pi

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I'm intrigued by your comment, "buy cheap, pay twice". As a development economist the notion of a performance/price ratio is hardwired into my dna. Remind me how much an annual subscription to Roon costs and how this compares to the one off purchase price of the RPi system you auditioned?

I am not disputing that Roon is a polished user interface, but frankly I believe it to be hugely overpriced. Additionally, I have compared my own RPi system to much more expensive digital front ends and have found it better in terms of SQ.

Geoff
    Not commenting on anyones choices, were all different.

Honestly though,
    In my system The Pi sounded quite poor against my Logitech Transporter into the same Dac.
    Sounded like a toy in comparison.
    The Pi was set up properly by the way, so its not that.

Some judicial choices and sometimes you get what what you pay for in my experience.
    We all pick a spot, and thsts absolutely right.
    How many of us have been on the upgrade bandwaggon for years, threw good money after bad and ended up a bit disolusioned at the end wondering if we actually are that better than we were?
    Me for one!

My take on Roon differs from yours Geoff, and thats ok.
    Been a ‘Roonie’ since it came out and to me was the logical next step to me after many years of using Squeezebox Server/ LMS. Absolutely worth every penny, and that was coming from being a fanboy JRiver user for many years, which ‘technically’ does the same thing.
    Not stuck in my ways, whatever gets me there!
    This might change again in fact, PS Audio are working on their own Roont type software OS so may make the jump to that in the future if its up to snuff.

All about the interface and user experience to me nowadays, who the feck wants to be going into the linux command line to mount shares (etc) when the thing shits itself or theres a power cut?
    A black box that works...who wouldnt want that?

Just one mans opinion Geoff, YMMV and Tonys a mate so dont want to recommend something I dont believe in or think woukd suit him.

These things are always worth trying in your own system of course, but given the nature of the rest of his system I would only suggest something that’ll be obviously better than the laptop he used now, which sounds pretty great as is.
    Chromecasts a good idea to try, not heard one but lots of folk like em, and not too salty a price to try.
    Good shout, worth a punt cos you just never know.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 21-02-2018 at 20:41.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    ...how do you play your 'local files' (NAS, HD etc) with it?
    Any number of apps you can use.... Bubble upnp was popular I think.

If I'm honest I don't really bother with that, I can just plug the laptop into the dac. However with my entire digital collection backed up on Google music and Spotify premium at my disposal I rarely find the need.

I also cast many radio stations, soundcloud and tunein.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Get off the fence! Are we or are we not mentally competent? I use this term in preference to the decidedly non-PC "a bit mental"!

Geoff
    Well as a file based audio advocate, I was laughing at myself more so and I know I'm mental for sure. But you may not have known that, others here would - not that I'm mental, that I like FBA
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Gary.

Getting i2s out of a Pi could be an interesting project...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Tim’s been there and done it...be nice.
    He may of course be a bit mental for various other reasons, wouldnt want to comment!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Bill.

I have used a Pi in the past and it worked fine after some initial faffing around. I'm currently using a CCA with a Caiman SEG and it is very reliable and a doddle to use and it does sound very good.

I am interested in a Pi and an Allo Digione, but is the £200 including a COAX cable really worth it? Is it really that much better than the CCA?

Of course, if I could get all this for £50 I'd buy one now. So many times I've bought something because people have said it's 'night and day's better and been disappointed because I can't hear any difference.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    He may of course be a bit mental for various other reasons, wouldnt want to comment!
    I guess Geoff wouldn't know I'm a PC tinkerer, but I agree that Linux even for someone familiar with it can be a pain - I tinker a lot less these days, happy with where I am. Also agree for Tony it probably isn't the best idea.

Nobody has mentioned the Yamaha WXAD-10 - not tried one myself, but probably about to, just for Spotify. Reviews very well and couldn't be simpler to use. More expensive than CCA and a cheaper Pi setup, but I like what I've seen so far.

Just a thought . . .
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I have used a Pi in the past and it worked fine after some initial faffing around. I'm currently using a CCA with a Caiman SEG and it is very reliable and a doddle to use and it does sound very good.
    Hi Bill, are you able to stream 'local files' with your CCA, and if so how...?
    Cheers, Will

I'm Geoff.

I am pretty tech savvy when it comes to PCs. I am embarrassed to admit it but as part of my Economics degree I did a course which was based on Algol 68R. Don't ask. However, I would not know a single line of Linux code or even that it was Linux. I have set up my RPI systems by following clear step by step instructions and by trial and error (i.e. switching between different menu options to get the desired results. Frankly, I am surprised that so many users on this forum seem to consider this a challenge. Frankly, I found it harder to set up the proper arm/cartridge geometry on my turntable and a lot more fiddly.

Geoff

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Hi Bill, are you able to stream 'local files' with your CCA, and if so how...?
    Easy peasy Will, Bubble UPNP. I use Twonky Server on my PC and Bubble on my Android phone to cast to the CCA.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast