+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For SALE: EAR 516 dual-mono stereo amp

I'm Peter.

Default For SALE: EAR 516 dual-mono stereo amp

I will receive a quite rare EAR 516 dual mono stereo amp at the end of this week. It will not win any beauty contests, but it is in pristine condition and rated at 2x50 watt with 508 output valves. It is based on the EAR 509 with lower output, different valves and in one dual-mono stereo cabinet.

It is a rack-mount power amp but I have been told the 516 used to run rather hot, so please place it with space enough around for passive cooling.

It is bias-adjustable on the front and the valves are easily replaceable from the back. Like the EAR 509 it has volume pots for each channel. Some critical components have been replaced with better spec'ced ones by the previous owner, otherwise it is standard.

It will come with an 2 or 3 sets of extra output valves. When I receive it, I will post an update to this advert.

Pictures were taken by the previous owner. I will make sure to pop it open and snap a few internal shots also, so you can see for yourselves that it is in very fine fettle.

I got it as part of a deal for an EAR 802 preamp - a preamp that I cannot praise highly enough, by the way. Currently the EAR 516 is not essential to the plans for my set-up, so I will let it go.

It weighs in at over 20 kilos and therefore I cannot ship it as a private seller in Denmark. You may be able to arrrange your own shipping from the UK or EU-countries.

Price: 1575£. Bank transfer or PayPal + 4%. No need to try to haggle.

montesquieu Guest

Interesting bit of kit. A bit too expensive to snap up out of curiosity (which is what I'd love to do - be interesting to pair it with the EAR 912 into some Tannoys, it's right in the sweet spot) but good luck with the sale.

I'm Peter.

Montesquieu.
    Make me an offer I can't refuse.

I'm Peter.

Open to sensible offers.

When I receive the amp, I will record a short video of it in full function with my EAR 802 and Quad ESL 57s.

I'm Peter.

Part PX with Morch DP6 tonearm (golden version preferable).
    Part PX with "The Head" TX4 by Tim De Paravicini.

I'm Peter.

UPDATE
    I still have not received it. I suppose that it is due to the bad weather. I know that the unit is in Denmark as it is listed as having arrived on February 27 to the main distribution centre in Taulov (South Jutland) which is located only 100 kilomtres from here.

I'm Peter.

Withdrawn from sale for now. It was just delivered to me. GREAT
    Last edited by Rosewind; 08-03-2018 at 19:19.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    Withdrawn from sale for now: DHL/PostNord has managed to lose the package with the EAR 516 and a lot of valves en route from Munich to Denmark. Since February 27 the package has been listed as present at the postal distribution centre in Tavlov, Denmark.But it is not there.

Now I hope that the seller took out the promised insurance cover so I can get compensated. Bummer.

EDIT: In my PostNord app, the package now appears as "being processed in our sorting department" so there is still hope. This is the first sign of life since Feb 27.
    Good luck. Hope it shows up. This is too nice to vanish.

I'm Peter.

GOOD NEWS: The EAR 516 arrived this evening.

I will now unpack it and let it warm up a bit before listening to it. GREAAAT!

Withdrawn until further notice. I need to have a listen.

I'm Peter.

Withdrawn from sale:

I have just sold my EAR 509s - they will be gone by March 18 - and I don't want to go without a power amp. Later this Spring I have been promised a modified Quad Classic ii integrated amp - converted to balanced power amp. When that arrives, I will decide which one to let go.

So the EAR 516 is off the market.

+ Reply to Thread