+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about building a class-D amp

I'm ian.

This amp module has quite a buzz about it....
    http://store3.sure-electronics.com/2...-compact-t-amp

On one DIY site (I cant remember which) it knocked the top of the line Hypex Module of the top spot.
    I will try and find the original thread.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by daddydj View Post
    This amp module has quite a buzz about it....
    http://store3.sure-electronics.com/2...-compact-t-amp

On one DIY site (I cant remember which) it knocked the top of the line Hypex Module of the top spot.
    I will try and find the original thread.
    I’ve seen the thread you’re talking about. But I’m generally wary about generic Chinese boards.

I'm ian.

They are pretty much all made in China

I'm ian.

This was his the list in order of preference, but now he says the Sure is on top.
    Obviously this is just one builders views but there seems to be a lot of support for the Sure.

1. Hypex UcD2K Click the image to open in full size. ( Absolute Reference ).
    2. Abletec ALC0300-1300 Click the image to open in full size. ( sound-quality wise very close to UcD2K ).
    3. Hypex NC-400 Click the image to open in full size. ( Price / Performance-ratio ).
    4. Abletec ALC1000-1300 Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. ( extremley dynamic, might therefore lack long-term enjoyability on certain speakers ).
    5. Connexelectronic CxD500 / SMPS600RE Click the image to open in full size.
    6. L-15/25D Click the image to open in full size. ( only if speaker matches ).
    7. Hypex UcD180 HG Click the image to open in full size.
    8. Connexelectronic IRS2092 (500 + 700 Watt Stereo-Module).
    9. Connexelectronic Tripath TA3020 / SMPS1000A Click the image to open in full size. ( unobtrusive ).
    10. Hypex UcD400 HxR Click the image to open in full size. ( never really could convinve me ).
    11. Hifimediy T2 Click the image to open in full size. ( good, well-sounding and inexpensive entry-level amp )
    99. Hifimediy T3S Click the image to open in full size. ( absolutely not noteworthy ).

I'm Pavel.

They are pretty much all made in China
    This is true, but not all Chinese wares are created equal. For example, Hifimediy and Connex use high quality parts in their modules, but when I look at this Sure board, the first thing I see is a set of noname electrolytic capacitors.

I'm Pavel.

This was his the list in order of preference, but now he says the Sure is on top.
    Obviously this is just one builders views but there seems to be a lot of support for the Sure.

2. Abletec ALC0300-1300 Click the image to open in full size. ( sound-quality wise very close to UcD2K ).
    3. Hypex NC-400 Click the image to open in full size. ( Price / Performance-ratio ).
    4. Abletec ALC1000-1300 Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. ( extremley dynamic, might therefore lack long-term enjoyability on certain speakers ).
    9. Connexelectronic Tripath TA3020 / SMPS1000A Click the image to open in full size. ( unobtrusive ).
    10. Hypex UcD400 HxR Click the image to open in full size. ( never really could convinve me ).
    11. Hifimediy T2 Click the image to open in full size. ( good, well-sounding and inexpensive entry-level amp )
    99. Hifimediy T3S Click the image to open in full size. ( absolutely not noteworthy ).
    By the way, I’m very interested as to where this guy got his Abletec/Anaview modules. I haven’t been able to find them for sale anywhere.

I'm Ken.

I've bought a few SMPS's and the DLVC (DSP) from hypex, hope you remembered the VAT is 21% from there.

I was planning on going the UcD route with a 6 Channel set up for my active speakers.
    I have since come down to 4 channels by keeping the passive element for Mid/Twt and I started looking at NCore options.

Hypex do an NC400 monoblock kit, which includes everything needed, including the case, binding posts etc, you only have to assemble it. It works out quite expensive and if you look at the fully assembled Hypex based stuff from Nord Acoustics (UK), there is not that much difference in price. Nord use the superior NC500 OEM modules and you get a finished product that's tested and has a warranty.

I know you mentioned wanting to get your hands dirty with a project, but I would seriously consider some of Nords lower end products. They use the NCxxxMP OEM modules, which have x2 Ncore amps on the PCB and share a common SMPS also on the same compact PCB/heatsink. I'm going to hear an 8 Channel 500w model later in the week, its by Apollon Audio (Austria) but uses the same boards.

Check out something like this:
    https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/prod...ereo-power-amp

It's more than you were looking at spending, but it's a lot of amp for the money.

I'm rupert.

No. 6 are LJM L15/25 boards like these (shown in a complete assembly with 2 L25D boards, rectifier, transformer, speaker protection, chassis, pot). And a version in kit form from here. But you'll have to drill some holes :-)
    Last edited by r100; 22-02-2018 at 20:55.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    No. 6 are LJM L15/25 boards like these (shown in a complete assembly with 2 L25D boards, rectifier, transformer, speaker protection, chassis, pot). And a version in kit form from here. But you'll have to drill some holes :-)
    The only question is: how do I know in advance if my speakers match the amplifier?

I'm rupert.

yeah, I was thinking the same

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast