+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thinking about building a class-D amp

I'm Pavel.

Truth be told, I’ve already settled on building a Hypex amp. I will finalize the BOMs and share them here because they’re likely to be useful to others :-)

I'm rupert.

This thread has gotten me interested in a new build... so after having read some reviews, I might put a pair of these (Anaview ALC 0300) into a chassis .. compared to the Hypex nCore N400, they seem to be quite a bargain, especially considering that the PS is built-in. A little more research needed though. Also, not sure where to get them as they are OEM.

https://www.eltim.eu/index.php?actio...000200&lang=en

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    This thread has gotten me interested in a new build... so after having read some reviews, I might put a pair of these (Anaview ALC 0300) into a chassis .. compared to the Hypex nCore N400, they seem to be quite a bargain. A little more research needed though.

Where did you get them, if you don’t mind me asking? I can’t find them anywhere :-(

I'm rupert.

A quick search yielded the below link. But I don't know the vendor.. just wanted an idea of the price range.

https://www.eltim.eu/index.php?actio...000200&lang=en

this vendor seems to be "official"

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/...r-alc0100-2200
    Last edited by r100; 23-02-2018 at 19:57.

I'm Pavel.

This is a well-known supplier, I think they are based in Germany.

It’s a pity they have only one ALC0300 in stock (it’s a mono module).

I'm rupert.

Default apollonaudio.com

interesting amp with ncore modules, ready built and not much more than a diy kit

http://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-amplifiers/

I'm Ken.

I heard the 8 channel Apollon today it was using the NC502MP Hypex modules (x4) and powering Linkwitz LX521 active speakers.
    Very impressive dynamic sound with no background noise at all.

I'm Phil.

I purchased an img stage line sta 800d 2x hypex 400 moduels and separate power supplies also by hypex £300 , I was only going to use it on the bass speaker but tried it running the whole system , sounded terrible to my ears , but it was ok on bass , hattor audio puts an integrated up for sale
    on ebay about once a month and it goes for about £1200 , this has hypex components and n core powewr modules , me phil.
    Phil.

I'm rupert.

Anyone here have a Hattor ? those are beautiful builds. The only thing I'm not a fan of are the fans on the sides.

I'm Pavel.

[rant mode on]

After doing some more research I have found that Abletec / Anaview amplifiers are ranked higher than Hypex UcD. However, after studying the available pictures and documents, I'm afraid I'm not going to use them, because they're using crappy capacitors. If you search for Anaview AMS1000/AMS0100 in Google images, you'll see that they're using CapXon caps in the switch power supply and JH caps elsewhere.

I have also found that Hypex uses Su'scon capacitors in their PSUs.

Call me paranoid, but I'm very suspicious of those capacitors, and for a good reason (I think). When I worked in tech support in a telecom company, we bought and installed several hundreds routers by two well respected companies. All these routers started going bad roughly 4-5 months after their warranty expired.

When we examined them, we discovered that those routers were using Su'scon caps for power filtering. Literally every single one of those capacitors failed.

Later we had a problem with brand name flat panel screens in the company's office which also started dying at the same time. Those had JH capacitors in their power supplies. NAD used JH capacitors in some of their low budget amps and guess what? They are also failing because the capacitors are going bad.

I really don't want to build an amp that will fail in a couple of years

[rant mode off]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234