+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Frontend upgrade path

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    I recall you mentioned you had upgraded the CW for this arm -- which one did you put on there? There are a number of aftermarket weights for this arm, all of which probably have their own way of fastening. Is there a small grub screw somewhere that you can loosen? Assuming you put the CW on there, you should be able to now move it(?). If you're stumped, post a pic of it and someone here will surely recognize it and be able to help....
    Here is the photo of the counterweight on Rega RB300:

https://imgur.com/a/w60aP

and here is my 'Frankenstein' Systemdek:

https://imgur.com/a/aq9Rb
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by amati74(Artur) View Post
    Could you give any pictures please (bottom plate)
    Here is the bottom plate I've removed from the turntable:

https://imgur.com/a/LTP7B

It's made of metal, and is quite heavy. After removing it the sound improved significantly. There is no other reason for this bottom plate except as protection from the exposed electrical wiring inside the tt body. Otherwise, one of the best free tweaks is just to remove it.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Artur.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Here is the bottom plate I've removed from the turntable:

https://imgur.com/a/LTP7B

It's made of metal, and is quite heavy. After removing it the sound improved significantly. There is no other reason for this bottom plate except as protection from the exposed electrical wiring inside the tt body. Otherwise, one of the best free tweaks is just to remove it.
    that's good

I'm Artur.

I'm just starting to improve my turntable, so I'm waiting for things I ordered from eBay. I want to install a new tonearm, spikes feet, new tonearm wires and signal cable. I also want to put dynamat into the chassis and plinth, nad may be on the base.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by amati74(Artur) View Post
    I'm just starting to improve my turntable, so I'm waiting for things I ordered from eBay. I want to install a new tonearm, spikes feet, new tonearm wires and signal cable. I also want to put dynamat into the chassis and plinth, nad may be on the base.
    Dynamat is a miracle worker. It really transformed my lowly turntable into a serious machine.

Alex.

I'm Artur.

I forgot that I also ordered new springs from vinyl nirvana

I'm Svend.

Alex, isn't that hole in the counterweight to allow access an allen screw?

The inside of the hole is dark in the pic, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a grub screw in there.

And that's a nice looking deck, mister!

Complete with an authentic and now extinct Canadian penny on the headshell . It's making that tonearm more valuable by the day -- it must be worth at least a 1/2 cent more than last year.

Seriously, the TT looks great. Nice one!

I will check out Dynamat and have a go with it for my Heybrook. Where did you buy it?

Svend

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Alex, isn't that hole in the counterweight to allow access an allen screw?

The inside of the hole is dark in the pic, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a grub screw in there.

And that's a nice looking deck, mister!

Complete with an authentic and now extinct Canadian penny on the headshell . It's making that tonearm more valuable by the day -- it must be worth at least a 1/2 cent more than last year.

Seriously, the TT looks great. Nice one!

I will check out Dynamat and have a go with it for my Heybrook. Where did you buy it?

Svend
    Thanks Svend. I looked into that hole but could not discern any screw in there. I'll use a flashlight and see if I can unscrew it.

I appreciate you adding your 2 cents and assessing my tonearm as appreciating by at least half a cent

And I agree with you, I also like the non-futuristic, old school vintage look of that TT. But those looks pale in comparison to how it sounds (or how it CAN sound once all the tweaks are done

After a long and hard search, I found Dynamat at the local Ralph's Radio shop. It was quite pricey ($18.00 for a square), so being a tightass I bought only two squares. Then I realized it's not enough, so I went back but of course they ran out of Dynamat, and couldn't tell me if they'll restock it or not.

So then I started searching all over the place and finally found Hushmat at the auto parts store Lordco. That mat is inferior to Dynamat, but is considerably cheaper. But it's also awful to work with (in comparison, Dynamat was a breeze to apply).

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Thanks for the tip on the Dynamat. I'll see if I can find it here. I haven't done much to the Heybrook lately except just listen to great music on it (needed a break after months of fiddling with it), but now I'm ready to start on the next round of tweaks. Dealing with the bottom plate will be priority one.

I'm Artur.

What kind of dynamat should I use, dynamat super lite or dynamat extreme.
    Dynamat super lite is 30% liter and 30% thinner than extreme. The price is the same about £18 per 1 piece 18"x32"
    Last edited by amati74(Artur); 07-03-2018 at 05:30.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast