+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontend upgrade path

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Thanks Chris, really looking forward (impatiently) to your photos

It's for some bloody reason proving difficult to find those damping materials here in Vancouver. I talked to Home Depot and the local Canadian Tire, and they're absolutely clueless. Seems like the only thing local retailers know how to push nowadays is cell phones and cases for cell phones, plus some accessories. That's basically the gist of the Vancouver economy (that, and Ferraris and Lamborghinis for rich money launderers).

Alex,

Here are some more Canadian sources of the self-adhesive damping material:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/damping_soundcoat.html

https://www.amazon.ca/Isolate-Sorbot...rds=sorbothane

If you want to go local, try an auto parts store like NAPA, or an appliance parts store (it's used to silence dishwashers and steel kitchen sinks).

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Alex,

Here are some more Canadian sources of the self-adhesive damping material:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/damping_soundcoat.html

https://www.amazon.ca/Isolate-Sorbot...rds=sorbothane

If you want to go local, try an auto parts store like NAPA, or an appliance parts store (it's used to silence dishwashers and steel kitchen sinks).
    Thank you, Svend. Went to NAPA on the 3rd avenue, of course they don't have it. Went to few other auto parts stores that were recommended to me along the way, no one has it.

But this exercise in futility is not all bad. The silver lining is that now I have an answer to the question: "How come Jeff Bezos is the richest person in history?"
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

This should do the trick, only $19 at Crappy Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m...-0477913p.html

I'm Alex.

This should do the trick, only $19 at Crappy Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m...-0477913p.html
    Thanks Svend. I finally lucked out yesterday (after a long and frustrating search) and got me some dynamat. I applied it to the plinth, covered as much area as I could.

Folks, it is true what Chris said, this tweak brings Systemdek to the next level. I literally could not recognize the sound of my deck. I could not stop listening, because many of my favourite LPs started sounding like brand new records.

On the downside (there is always a downside, right?) this improvement now makes badly pressed LPs unlistenable. What used to be passable pressings are now unbearable drivel. A case in point: the Beatles White Album. I have two pressings -- the 2012 remaster from the 2009 digital remaster, and the original Capitol pressing.

The 2012 remaster sounds dead and limp. Instead of music, all I get is a holographic projection of the band. There is no punch, no sparkle, the bass is weak and pale.

The original Capitol pressing is a distorted mess now (I used to enjoy this pressing a lot before I made the upgrade). "Back In The USSR" is now shrill, piercing track that makes me want to cover my ears and skip to the next track. The worst experience was "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which, towards the end, becomes a screeching mess.

I don't want to start another thread, but what are the recommended pressings of the White Album? Now that we're in the 50th anniversary of that double LP, I wanna find a good, listenable pressing to bask in the glory of White Album.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Hey Alex -- this is great news. So happy these little tweaks have worked out so well. And it cost you how much? $30? Plus maybe another $50 or so for some spikes? Darn sight better than a new arm, eh? Now how about looking at a little headshell weight to really get that Denon singing? Maybe the White album will be more listenable then?

Just to satisfy my curiosity, you've left the bottom plate off, then added the bitumen to the inside surfaces of the plinth? Is that right?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Have you done the sub-chassis too?
    It's the T shaped metal thing underneath the top plate.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

Hey Alex -- this is great news. So happy these little tweaks have worked out so well. And it cost you how much? $30? Plus maybe another $50 or so for some spikes? Darn sight better than a new arm, eh? Now how about looking at a little headshell weight to really get that Denon singing? Maybe the White album will be more listenable then?

Just to satisfy my curiosity, you've left the bottom plate off, then added the bitumen to the inside surfaces of the plinth? Is that right?
    Hi Svend, yes, removed the bottom plate, covered all the wooden surfaces inside the plinth with dynamat, plus added a bit of leftover dynamat to some metal surfaces. The resulting sound is shockingly better. I can now hear every tiny Joni Mitchell's breath, plus the multi-layered voices are not a blur anymore. I can also hear the way her singing notes slowly decay, as she tends to draw them out much longer than I was previously aware of.

Definitely I'd say this mod is mandatory for all Systemdek owners. It transforms this deck from a mid brow source to a veritable high brow source.

Question: where can I get headshell weights for the Denon DL-103?

Thanks!

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Have you done the sub-chassis too?
    It's the T shaped metal thing underneath the top plate.
    No. Wasn't sure if I should (was impatient and couldn't wait for your photos).

So I should do that as well?

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    No. Wasn't sure if I should (was impatient and couldn't wait for your photos).

So I should do that as well?
    I did, along with the bottom of the bearing housing.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I did, along with the bottom of the bearing housing.
    Thanks. Not sure what exactly is the bottom of the bearing housing (I'm not a mechanical engineer), probably best to wait to see your photos, and then it will be monkey see, monkey do

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast