+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontend upgrade path

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Time to try the sorbothane feet?
    Sounds like it.
    Give it a go - you might prefer the spikes.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Svend.

Sure, go for it Alex. Given that you didn't hear much, if any, difference with the spikes indicates that the platform the deck is sitting on seems to be doing a good job of isolating things. Nice to know. Post back here on what effect the sorbothane has. I'm very curious about that...

BTW, if you want to try a headshell weight just as a quick trial to see if it works, you could temporarily stick a metal washer with double-sided tape onto the top of the headshell. You'll need a small electronic scale to weigh the washer -- that would be rather important to know how much you're adding. And remember to adjust your VTF .

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Sure, go for it Alex. Given that you didn't hear much, if any, difference with the spikes indicates that the platform the deck is sitting on seems to be doing a good job of isolating things. Nice to know. Post back here on what effect the sorbothane has. I'm very curious about that...

BTW, if you want to try a headshell weight just as a quick trial to see if it works, you could temporarily stick a metal washer with double-sided tape onto the top of the headshell. You'll need a small electronic scale to weigh the washer -- that would be rather important to know how much you're adding. And remember to adjust your VTF .
    Thanks for the tips, Svend. You're an endless source of ideas

So after a couple of days with newest upgrades, I'm starting to detect certain hardness in the sound of sub-standard LPs. The good ones sound sweet and very detailed, but those lesser pressings are now giving me this hard edged sound that wasn't there previously, when Systemdek was sloppier.

Wonder if that situation is irreparable, or whether if I now add valves to the phono or preamp stage things will mellow out a bit?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Hey Alex - happy to help! I've received much patient and generous help from many of the crew here, so I'm glad to be paying it forward

As for the hard and strident sound, there could be a number of things at work there. Platter resonance perhaps? Or that darn compliance mismatch between your cartridge and the light Rega arm . Seriously, per my previous advice, I'd try sticking a 5g washer (or whatever the Vinylengine tool tells you that you need) onto the top of the headshell and see what happens. This tonearm mass - cartridge compliance synergy is a real thing -- check out this recent thread where Dave had the opposite problem to what you may be experiencing...a too-heavy headshell mated to a high-compliance cartridge: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...nze-on-a-PL-71
    He swapped out the headshell for one about 4g lighter, and Bingo! problem solved. Totally transformed the sound.

There may be other causes, and some of the guys here may have some better insight and suggestions.

In any case, I suppose it's a mixed blessing what you're reporting -- the deck is so much more accurate and revealing now that it shows up sub-standard LPs.

Best of luck!

Svend

I'm Alex.

Hey Alex - happy to help! I've received much patient and generous help from many of the crew here, so I'm glad to be paying it forward

As for the hard and strident sound, there could be a number of things at work there. Platter resonance perhaps? Or that darn compliance mismatch between your cartridge and the light Rega arm . Seriously, per my previous advice, I'd try sticking a 5g washer (or whatever the Vinylengine tool tells you that you need) onto the top of the headshell and see what happens. This tonearm mass - cartridge compliance synergy is a real thing -- check out this recent thread where Dave had the opposite problem to what you may be experiencing...a too-heavy headshell mated to a high-compliance cartridge: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...nze-on-a-PL-71
    He swapped out the headshell for one about 4g lighter, and Bingo! problem solved. Totally transformed the sound.

There may be other causes, and some of the guys here may have some better insight and suggestions.

In any case, I suppose it's a mixed blessing what you're reporting -- the deck is so much more accurate and revealing now that it shows up sub-standard LPs.

Best of luck!

Svend
    Hey Svend, thanks again for your encouraging words. Too bad you don't reside in Vancouver, I think we would be great buddies

Yeah, the blessing and the curse of upgrading your equipment is that good things get better, but not so good things get worse

That hardening in the upper register is nowhere to be heard on well recorded, well mastered LPs that have been carefully pressed. But if the source material was made carelessly, all of a sudden it is a hard listen.

On the flip side, what used to be a hard, cringe-inducing listen (like Howlin' Wolf London Session) is now a sweet ride What previously was dangerously edging toward a screech fest is now turning into a crystal clear, sonorous audio heaven.

I'll look into adding the 5g washer, see what, if anything, changes. Interestingly, some things I change on my system introduce dramatic differences, some don't make one iota of a difference. Hard to predict what may happen when I change something.

Thanks again!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Hey Alex, well I'm a long way from Van, but drop in occasionally for work and to visit my brother in Port Moody. Father-in-law lives over on the Island too, in Sooke.

It'll be interesting to hear back if the headshell weight makes any difference. BTW, it just so happens that a Canadian penny weighs 4.5 grams - perfect. I'm sure you have a sock full of those lying around somewhere...

If you Google "Denon DL-103 on Rega arm", I think you'll find quite a few users have gone to a small headshell weight to bump the arm mass up a titch. Seems to be routine practice.

Just out of curiousity, what VTF are you using? That cart needs quite a bit, I think(?)...2.5g or so...

I'm Alex.

Hey Alex, well I'm a long way from Van, but drop in occasionally for work and to visit my brother in Port Moody. Father-in-law lives over on the Island too, in Sooke.

It'll be interesting to hear back if the headshell weight makes any difference. BTW, it just so happens that a Canadian penny weighs 4.5 grams - perfect. I'm sure you have a sock full of those lying around somewhere...

If you Google "Denon DL-103 on Rega arm", I think you'll find quite a few users have gone to a small headshell weight to bump the arm mass up a titch. Seems to be routine practice.

Just out of curiousity, what VTF are you using? That cart needs quite a bit, I think(?)...2.5g or so...
    I've settled on 2.7g. Sounds best to my ears.

Shockingly, one of the local turntable 'gurus' told me that he never liked Denon DL-103. He suggested Rega Ania instead. He seems not to like DL-103's beefy sound, which I adore.

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Yeah, there's something about a really full, punchy sound that is so compelling. I have a Goldring MM cartridge that has that kind of sound, mounted on an RB300 actually. Terrific stuff! To each their own...

I'm Alex.

Yeah, there's something about a really full, punchy sound that is so compelling. I have a Goldring MM cartridge that has that kind of sound, mounted on an RB300 actually. Terrific stuff! To each their own...
    Goldring is a legendary cartridge. I was considering getting it, but I still remain prisoner of that unique DL-103 sound. I call it 'molten lava', because it is the most fiery sound I've ever heard emanating from anyone's speakers.

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Well, you're in good company here -- there seem to be a lot of 103 fans here. One of these days I may have to try one and see what all the fuss is about

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast