+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontend upgrade path

I'm Geoff.

By the way. When employing cones or spikes, I prefer a three point configuration where possible. One central at the rear and one in each front corner. That eliminates any chance of rocking. It's not always viable though, as some equipment has a significant weight bias to one side or the other.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    What's your opinion on placing Systemdek on the spikes? Now that I've removed the bottom plate and realized what a phenomenal upgrade it is, I'm wondering if further isolation via the spikes would improve things or not.
    I just sat mine on sorbethane feet.
    Every TT I've had was sensitive to what it sat on. I wouldn't use spikes because they couple the deck to the supporting structure.

The car body damping panels were something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Silent-Coat...d=161282941044

I will post some photos of the underside of the Systemdek.
    Might take a day or two ......
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I wouldn't use spikes because they couple the deck to the supporting structure.
    That's the whole idea. Suspended subchassis decks often respond well to being coupled to what they stand on. Assuming it is stable and solid.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's the whole idea. Suspended subchassis decks often respond well to being coupled to what they stand on. Assuming it is stable and solid.
    Tried spikes.
    Didn't do it for me.
    Much prefer something lossy to sit the deck on.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

In my opinion, removal of the base cover is likely to be the best option. Ensuring of course that precautions are taken to ensure that anything with live mains voltage is covered or inaccessible.

The opened base/plinth sides can be lined with damping sheet, possibly to good effect.

Rigidly fixed spikes or cones may be helpful. I'd not use double sided tape to fix them, as that introduces a small amount of compliance, defeating the intended rigidity. Glue on or screw on I'd say.
    Yes, that's why I wanted to ask first if it would make sense to put Systemdek on spikes. Because I would glue the spikes with crazy glue, but if it turns out it degrades the sound, I'm not sure whether it would be possible to unglue them?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Tried spikes.
    Didn't do it for me.
    Much prefer something lossy to sit the deck on.
    Thanks for the insight, Chris. I have my Systemdek sitting on one of those 'audiophile' wooden trays (bought it from a local audiophile shop when they were going out of business, got it for fraction of the price).

I was experimenting with different supporting shelves for the turntable, settled on a very rigid, thin table that has thin metal legs and a thin MDF surface. Not sure if that's the best solution, but couldn't go for something more audiophile-approved because of the low wife appeal
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

I just sat mine on sorbethane feet.
    Every TT I've had was sensitive to what it sat on. I wouldn't use spikes because they couple the deck to the supporting structure.

The car body damping panels were something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Silent-Coat...d=161282941044

I will post some photos of the underside of the Systemdek.
    Might take a day or two ......
    Thanks Chris, really looking forward (impatiently) to your photos

It's for some bloody reason proving difficult to find those damping materials here in Vancouver. I talked to Home Depot and the local Canadian Tire, and they're absolutely clueless. Seems like the only thing local retailers know how to push nowadays is cell phones and cases for cell phones, plus some accessories. That's basically the gist of the Vancouver economy (that, and Ferraris and Lamborghinis for rich money launderers).

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Yes, that's why I wanted to ask first if it would make sense to put Systemdek on spikes. Because I would glue the spikes with crazy glue, but if it turns out it degrades the sound, I'm not sure whether it would be possible to unglue them?
    As a try out, you can stand the spikes the 'wrong way up' (points up) on your turntable stand or shelf and have the points against the wood turntable base. That'll give much of a similar effect to having spikes the correct way up and obviously easily undone. Then you'll get an idea if it's worth pursuing with spikes bonded to the base (the right way up of course).

I'm Geoff.

Thanks Chris, really looking forward (impatiently) to your photos

It's for some bloody reason proving difficult to find those damping materials here in Vancouver. I talked to Home Depot and the local Canadian Tire, and they're absolutely clueless. Seems like the only thing local retailers know how to push nowadays is cell phones and cases for cell phones, plus some accessories. That's basically the gist of the Vancouver economy (that, and Ferraris and Lamborghinis for rich money launderers).
    'Dynamat' available on ebay Canada: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynamat-X...kAAOSwv8FZ4h40

I'm Alex.

As a try out, you can stand the spikes the 'wrong way up' (points up) on your turntable stand or shelf and have the points against the wood turntable base. That'll give much of a similar effect to having spikes the correct way up and obviously easily undone. Then you'll get an idea if it's worth pursuing with spikes bonded to the base (the right way up of course).
    Excellent advice, thanks Geoff.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast