+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontend upgrade path

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Use self adhesive bitumen damping material (your local automotive spares store can usually supply this), and use it to dampen the plinth, and the suspended sub-chassis.
    This stands to reason. When I think about the tiny rock bouncing around the microscopic groove, it is easy to imagine that any vibration must interfere with its trajectory. And since its trajectory is the signal, messing with that signal is only going to amplify and magnify the noise.

So dampening is the way to go. Are there any photos on the net illustrating how does a well dampened underbelly of Systemdek IIX look like? I'd like to do it, but I don't want to mess things up.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Leslie.

Would you like to road test a set? Soundeck DF Damping Feet, previously know as Sound Damped Steel IsoFeet.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Leslie,

Welcome back. I'm afraid you'll need to renew your trade account before attempting to sell things again to members. I tried contacting you several times last year, when your account was due for renewal, sadly to no avail.

Therefore, if you wish to start trading again, please PM me ASAP to arrange making the necessary payment, otherwise I'll have no option but to close your account. Many thanks!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alex.

I knew there was something I'd forgotten
    Remove the bottom plate and throw it away ...
    You know... of all the upgrades and crazy tweaks I've heard of throughout the years, this one sounded the most outlandish. Remove the bottom plate? Like, really? Why?

So this evening, for a lark, I did just that. Removed the bottom plate and sat down to give it a listen, with a smirk. Played Van Morrison "Moondance".

Holy molly! My jaw dropped to the floor! What the...

I couldn't tear myself away from Systemdek. One LP after another, rediscovering the music, basking in the sonic marvels. How's this possible? A stupid lowly bottom plate robs this turntable of such precision. I'm stumped.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Use self adhesive bitumen damping material (your local automotive spares store can usually supply this), and use it to dampen the plinth, and the suspended sub-chassis.
    What's your opinion on placing Systemdek on the spikes? Now that I've removed the bottom plate and realized what a phenomenal upgrade it is, I'm wondering if further isolation via the spikes would improve things or not.

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

The base cover acts like a drum skin and resonates, as does the air it encloses within the turntable base.

I'm Svend.

Alex - wow! Great to hear that that simple little tweak made so much difference. Makes me want to hurry up and sort that out on my Heybrook now.

Geoff, would removing the base plate be preferable to just damping it with bitumen or sorbothane? I think that in the Heybrook the plinth is sufficiently braced that the flimsy base plate really doesn't add anything to the rigidity of the whole affair. But I wonder if the bitumen would stop the resonating sufficiently that I could just leave it on. Presently it's supporting the rather wide cones that the deck is sitting on, so if I took it off I'd have to use other feet or add blocks to the plinth. The other option, I suppose, is to cut a large hole in the base plate to open up the air space, and then dampen the remainder with bitumen.

Alex, as for spikes, I think the impact of placing the deck on spikes depends in part on what component rack it's presently sitting on. In my case, the Heybrook is in a large armoire with particleboard shelving (not ideal, I know, but for now it's all we've got), and placing it on three small size Michell Tenderfeet cones made a very significant difference. If your rack has excellent isolation then you may notice a more subtle difference. You just have to try it. But it's a cheap experiment and is instantly reversible - just slip the cones under (hold 'em with double-sided tape if need be) and have a listen. If no change, then use them under your CD player or something else. For what you get, the Michell feet are a little pricey here in Canada -- Parts Connexion in Burlington has lots of other options for less money.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/isolation_connex.html
    http://www.artech-electronics.com/canada/index.html

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Geoff, would removing the base plate be preferable to just damping it with bitumen or sorbothane?
    In my opinion, removal of the base cover is likely to be the best option. Ensuring of course that precautions are taken to ensure that anything with live mains voltage is covered or inaccessible.

The opened base/plinth sides can be lined with damping sheet, possibly to good effect.

Rigidly fixed spikes or cones may be helpful. I'd not use double sided tape to fix them, as that introduces a small amount of compliance, defeating the intended rigidity. Glue on or screw on I'd say.

I'm Svend.

Good advice - thanks Geoff. I'll have to do some mods to the base to make that work. Easy enough to do though. And yes, electricals all have to be protected -- there's no way I am taping an aluminum cone to the bottom of an open plinth with all that wiring there. One nudge and Poof! Bang! up in smoke.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    there's no way I am taping an aluminum cone to the bottom of an open plinth
    Not tape, glue or screw for optimum results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast