I am currently using Systemdek IIX with Rega RB300 and Denon DL-103 into Denon AU-310 SUT feeding into Emotiva XPS-1 MM phono stage. I am enjoying the sound immensely, but have caught the 'upgraditis' bug and started wondering what can be done to push the sound to the next level?

I have sort of three options to consider:

1. Upgrade the cartridge
2. Upgrade the tonearm
3. Upgrade the phono stage

(I am not considering upgrading the turntable, as I like my Systemdek and feel that only a big bucks upgrade would make things better).

My budget is between $500 - $1,000 (although I could push it a bit north of a grand, if I could be convinced that it is going to make a substantial difference).

I hasten to add that I am enamoured by the Denon DL-103 sound. I love that overly enthusiastic, hefty, fiery and full bodied presentation. But I am fully aware that it has a lowly conical stylus, which probably means I'm missing some finer details buried deeper in the microgrooves. So I'd be interested in trying different, more sophisticated cartridges, but only if they'd approximate the Denon's savage sound. I'm not interested in delicate, airy, light-as-a-feather refined sound. But I'd be willing to trade some of the wild and reckless Denon features for a more controlled, more detailed presentation. But only up to a point.

If I stay with Denon, my next option would be replacing Rega RB300 with Jelco, or some other heavier tonearm. Many claim that increasing the tonearm weight should propel DL-103 to new heights, and Jelco seems to fall within my budgetary constraints. Not 100% convinced that it will substantially better the RB300, but I remain open to be convinced otherwise.

Lastly, the phono stage. I found match made in heaven when I paired Denon DL-103 with Denon AU-310 SUT. They work hand-in-the-glove. So maybe everything upstream from my Emotiva phono is hunky-dory, and maybe by improving the phono I'll gain entry to the next level?

I did some reading and learned that Jolida JD9 v2 is being praised by many as a good tube phono. When I visited my dealer yesterday asking for Jolida, he pushed back and tried to convince me that such a cheapo tube phono cannot possibly result in quality sound. Instead, he suggested I go with Clearaudio Basic +. Now, it's sometimes hard to tell with salespeople if they're being straight, or if they're pushing some hidden agenda which benefits their commission. Again, I remain open to suggestions.