+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Memories...

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I have a terrible short term memory and its been getting to the stage where I will have a sudden thought then when I get to the next room I cant remember what I went into the room for. Ive done it twice in a row on several occassions. Its more scatty thought when I am in a rush or a bit stressed.

I could watch certain films and can not remember the name of key characters when asked soon afterwards. Its like the information isnt really going in and Im not processing it properly

It usually takes me two goes when Im meeting people for the first time. The name is mentioned and then I usually have to ask again and then go into a corner and say to myself its Dave... Dave... Dave the rave to drum it in with some word association

Its more that I have a selective memory and I do learn an revise fairly well. I worry that dementia is setting in because Im defo getting worse
    Dont worry Martin . I think its quite common as we get on a bit
    I love watching Pointless but I find names a struggle to get hold of lol
    I get a sort of brain freeze myself when I must suddenly ask myself for someones first name , upon meeting them ,(and I know full well I SHOULD be able to trip it off the top of my head because I have known them for so long !!! )
    I had a laughable moment a yr or so ago . Went to Wrexham for footie match . I park on the main Wrexham rd and meet my mates for a lift (or take them )
    This one night it was ruddy cold , so had lots of small layers and loads of pockets !! It was my turn for not driving ,so left car in lay by. Keys were memorised (again again and agian ) as being in right jeans pocket
    Tidy!
    During the half time I went to the bar and purchased a pint for my mates .
    Much later , my mate drops me off at the car , he drives off , and I cant find the keys in my jeans!!!!!!! Panic sets in and after rifling through all of my pockets (around twenty odd ) no keys !! No phone , aw shit !!
    Walked the 4 miles home and as I got 200 yds from the back door , had another seemingly fruitless ferret through my pockets again ,and what I thought was just my dab radio , was , as I pulled it out ,was my dab radio and a set of keys tangled up in the headphones

The exercise did me good
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Steve.

Sometimes when I'm posting something on here, I may need to include the name of someone in a previous post. But I can't remember his name, so I have to leave my post to find the name.

If I do this too quickly, everything I have typed is lost. But if I hang on for a minute, my text is 'auto-saved'.

Perhaps our brains work a little like that, in that anything we may wish to recall needs some time to auto-save. In my case this function needs a few months to kick in.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Sometimes when I'm posting something on here, I may need to include the name of someone in a previous post. But I can't remember his name, so I have to leave my post to find the name.
    I just open another tab with the forum on. Then I can refer back and forth.

I'm Steve.

Sorry Geoff, I understood not one bit of that statement.

Other stuff that is beyond me:

Posting pictures. I'm dreading the day when I may want to sell something, and have to include pics. The instructions provided in one of the 'stickies' may be helpful to anyone with a bit of technical nouse, but it just makes my brain hurt.

The little picture next to your username. Looks cool, but also looks difficult.

Quoting part of a previous post rather than the whole thing. Sometimes it's even in bold. Witchcraft!

I'll get there eventually, but these things I need to be told ten times before my 'autosave' kicks in.

I'm Russell.

Ah yes, the auto save! I’ve learned long ago, the stuff we take great interest in, we devour all the information we can get on the subject! But take a subject that we are not really interested in, and poof! It is thrown out with the bath water. So, you remember what a person said about the angle of the cantilever on their cartridge, but you can’t recall their name! Funny that. Selective memories, seem to get more and more selective as we get older. I know mine is. Whatever your name was?.....

Russell

I'm Steve.

Maybe the 'neural pathways' in our brains get more clogged by a lifetime of thoughts and memories.

My neural pathways have contraflows, speed restrictions in place and lots of cones. But not a workman in sight! And when the emergency services come along, ie things we're interested in, everything else has to get out of the way.

I love analogies, they keep my brain sharp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567