+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDRs Dead?

I'm Geoff.

Have you tried to play your dodgy discs in a pc or to copy them using EAC?

Geoff

I'm Simon.

I think that would be my 'all else fails' position
    Simon.

I'm Geoff.

I would suggest that you try this first. This will give you an idea of whether the discs are past the point of no return!

Geoff

I'm Edward.

What is the original source you used to create the CDRs? Perhaps just start again from those if you still have them.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Russell.

CDR’s do not last, I’ve got a bunch I made about 15 years ago and they have all died, will not play at all. But as mentioned there are some made for archive purposes, and are expensive. I find that even new CDR’s will play well in some decks, and not well in others. Early CD players wouldn’t play them at all. Once they start to go, there is nothing that can save them. I’m afraid the industry lied to us on that front. I use Minidisc to practice my bass, they last and last! But they claimed you could record over them a million times! False! About 20 times max.

Russell

I'm gone.

Interesting about CDRs, I didn't realise they have a limited shelf life. I have quite a few going back 15 years or so, I guess, and I haven't come across a problem yet. In these days of streaming I don't play them much at all, so there may be nasty surprises awaiting me if/when I do try to use them.

Re: minidiscs. I find they can jam after a few years, I've had a few problems in my collection of 600 or so.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Re: minidiscs. I find they can jam after a few years, I've had a few problems in my collection of 600 or so.
    I’ve seen so many of the less expensive Minidisc decks die, I’ve had two of them crap out on me. But I bought an expensive pro unit from Sony, rack mounted, very nice, and it still operates like new. I’ve had no discs jam? One or two had the metal cover get bent and wouldn’t operate. While I do have 20 or 30 that I’ve recorded albums onto, I rarely ever play them, it’s mostly a tool to learn songs now. Back in the day, every member of the band owned a deck, and I would record our practices onto a disc and we would pass it around, so we could critique our performance. Very practical. I also had an indash unit in my car! I loved that and used it every day.

Russell

I'm Neil.

Default CDRs Dead?

As with all of these things the media, the burner and the configuration dictates how long they last. Burning one of those CDRs in cheap “cylinders” at 16x in a cheap burner isn’t going to last as long as say an internal LiteOn burner at 4x speed with JVC CDRs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    As with all of these things the media, the burner and the configuration dictates how long they last. Burning one of those CDRs in cheap “cylinders” at 16x in a cheap burner isn’t going to last as long as say an internal LiteOn burner at 4x speed with JVC CDRs.
    In my experience, the biggest factor is the chemistry of the CDR. I have always burned discs (both audio and data) at the minimum speed in order to minimise recording errors. Even then, in the early days (20 years ago) I would have a very high burn failure rate. I forget the disc brand back then but the cdrs had a shiny gold surface and a blue green write side. I am guessing that they used cyanine dyes which I have found to be quite unstable. I also recall that the non write side was very prone to damage. Even a small scratch or abrasion would lead to flaking of the coating and a visible "hole" that could best be seen as light penetration from the write side. I can't recall exactly how much each disk cost but I seem to recall a figure between £1 and £2 each depending on the quantity purchased. Despite all this, it was great fun being able to make compilation cds for the car for those long uneventful trips!

Geoff

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I found that Philips CDRs were more reliable than other brands but after a prolific period of burning them ten to twelve years ago I'm now finding failures arising.

Extending the topic slightly, DVDR was a disaster in my experience. Occasionally when the family had filled the Sky hard drive I would try to record a programme onto DVD just for my own viewing. I used Philips discs and tried two Philips recording machines as well as both the DVD+ and DVD- formats. The fail rate on burning / finalising must have been about 50%. Then afterwards when it came to watching them there would be a fail to read rate of another 50%. Obviously the industry didn't want to facilitate counterfeiting (!) but it might as well not have brought that product to market at all IMHO.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast