+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CDRs Dead?

I'm Simon.

Default CDRs Dead?

I wonder if some folks on here with greater knowledge and experience can offer up advice.
    I've got a problem playing CDrs through my CD player. It's a Myryad MC100 and about 18 years old. Commercially released CDs play perfectly, it's only when I play mix CDrs that I encounter problems.
    They start playing fine but after about 15 minutes in the sound starts to break up - the nearest I can describe it is it sounds like tons of fluff on a stylus. I was wondering if the actual disc is deteriorating but visually there is no sign of fade or rot. They were recorded on a variety of laptops and PC's and allowing for some recording failures I can play most of them OK on my laptop, but I'd rather have a proper player to use in my music room.
    So I've a couple of questions really - are CDrs inevitably doomed to degrade after a number of years despite being stored in optimum conditions and are there certain CD players that will tackle CDrs without any trouble. I know people will say to transfer them but I'm not adverse to getting a new player if there is a super duper no disc to tough machine out there.
    Thanks for looking.
    Simon.

I'm Edward.

I sometimes find that a CDR plays just fine on a particular player and then after some years does not play as easily on that player. Sometimes I find by copying that disc onto a new CDR using a computer will then play just fine on the player.

As CDRs are so cheap it is an easy thing to try.

YMMV of course.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    I wonder if some folks on here with greater knowledge and experience can offer up advice.
    I've got a problem playing CDrs through my CD player. It's a Myryad MC100 and about 18 years old. Commercially released CDs play perfectly, it's only when I play mix CDrs that I encounter problems.
    They start playing fine but after about 15 minutes in the sound starts to break up - the nearest I can describe it is it sounds like tons of fluff on a stylus. I was wondering if the actual disc is deteriorating but visually there is no sign of fade or rot. They were recorded on a variety of laptops and PC's and allowing for some recording failures I can play most of them OK on my laptop, but I'd rather have a proper player to use in my music room.
    So I've a couple of questions really - are CDrs inevitably doomed to degrade after a number of years despite being stored in optimum conditions and are there certain CD players that will tackle CDrs without any trouble. I know people will say to transfer them but I'm not adverse to getting a new player if there is a super duper no disc to tough machine out there.
    Thanks for looking.
    Yes, CDR discs are unreliable and should never be used for archiving important material. They are a cheap way of making compilations for the car cd but always expect them to fail at some point: they will. I was an early adopter and bought an early burner and a batch of "gold" cd blanks back around (1997 +/-). They were great for burning compilation cds and audio books for long journeys around Namibia where I lived from 1998-2001. Audio-cassettes were OK in the house, but literally melted if left in the car for any time. The tape stretched so much that there was not enough tension to turn the reels. The CD's lasted a bit longer in that environment but even stored a in cool dark environment, I found the dyes deteriorated after a short time.

There are archival media available but these are more expensive (e..g DVD-RAM and M-Disc).

Geoff

I'm Grant.

due to how they are burnt, they mostly dont last more than 5 years and often less. you get the odd disc that does tho. personally i believe they strain the laser so dont use them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Pavel.

Yes, CD-Rs do deteriorate quite quickly. And if you use a permanent marker to label them, it will often eat right through the disc...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    . personally i believe they strain the laser so dont use them
    You're joking of course.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Thanks for the replies guys - pretty much confirms my fears
    Simon.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys - pretty much confirms my fears
    If there are music files that you cannot replace by any other means, I have had some success in recovering files with the freeware EAC package. Can take a while with some files though.

Geoff

I'm Neil.

Default CDRs Dead?

Many CD transports have a low tolerance to reading CDRs and CD-RW, interestingly an old Philips swingarm will play them no problem due to a very high tolerance design. Can’t say I’ve had degradation issues, but then I always burned at quad speed max.

As mentioned another way around it is to re-rip the CDRs and use M-Disc media.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Many CD transports have a low tolerance to reading CDRs and CD-RW, interestingly an old Philips swingarm will play them no problem due to a very high tolerance design. Can’t say I’ve had degradation issues, but then I always burned at quad speed max.

As mentioned another way around it is to re-rip the CDRs and use M-Disc media.
    That's interesting Neil. I think Marantz use the Philips mechanism - I'll see if I can borrow my mates player.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast