+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDRs Dead?

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    due to how they are burnt, they mostly dont last more than 5 years and often less. you get the odd disc that does tho. personally i believe they strain the laser so dont use them
    My late father believed that his TV reception was worse at peak times because there were more people watching, which diluted the signal......
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Russell.

A friend wanted to archive some videos of his band’s performances from VHS tapes. I found these DVDR’s made by Mobile Fidelity. They clAimed they would last 300 years! I can’t back that up, but apparently he has had no failures that i know of. They were rather expensive at $10 each.

Russell

I'm Simon.

Well, a result! I've borrowed my mate's Marantz player and I can report that it seems to play the CDr's I've tried so far all the way through. I'll try a couple more tonight but it seems that the discs aint dead yet It looks like I'll be getting a new CD player soon.
    Simon.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    Well, a result! I've borrowed my mate's Marantz player and I can report that it seems to play the CDr's I've tried so far all the way through. I'll try a couple more tonight but it seems that the discs aint dead yet It looks like I'll be getting a new CD player soon.
    Even though they play now they are "slowly dying". Why not rip them to FLAC whilst they are still readable. A 1tb disc in inexpensive and will store almost 3,000 albums on flac format.

Geoff

I'm Simon.

Yeah - looks like the way forward. I should do it while there's life left in them!
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Simon.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Even though they play now they are "slowly dying". Why not rip them to FLAC whilst they are still readable. A 1tb disc in inexpensive and will store almost 3,000 albums on flac format.

Geoff
    +1

Also worth ripping all the home DVDs to MP4 (or whatever) Very simple process.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    ...ah this is inspiring me to get a 'swingarm' project on the go, I just love a player that you can plonk anything into and it plays.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Yes, get those CDRs ripped to FLAC or something lossless toot sweet, EAC is a good ripper for error correction.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    EAC is a good ripper for error correction.
    EAC does not error correct.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

What does it do then Chris - had some awful discs that others won't rip, but it will?

Should I have said Error Recovery then?
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast