+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from Rega Dac

I'm Shari.

Default Upgrading from Rega Dac

Hi guys.

I know this question has probably been asked a million time and I have searched to see what similar threads have said.

I currently have a Rega Apollo R with Rega Dac, going into a Pathos Logos amp and then Triangle Duetto speakers.

I have the opportunity i.e.the money, to upgrade the dac and wondered if the Rega Dac was worth upgrading to the Chord 2qute. I know there is a new chord dac out, and the 2qute is reduced. I want a dac that will do the Pathos and Duetto speakers justice as I am on the upgrade path.....Again!

Any advice welcome from Rega owners or this with some experience of DACs .

Cheers

Shari

I'm gone.

Rega and Chord DACs - very different beasts!

I've owned a Rega and have heard a Chord Hugo2 in my system. Looking at reviews I would bet that the Hugo2 and 2qute have a similar style of presentation.
    The Rega is a bit warm and 'organic', with a somewhat curtailed dynamic reach making it sound even cosier.
    The Chord will have a brighter balance, resolution to burn and a really startling 'jump factor'.
    Quite opposites, really.

If you like your Rega and want more of the same, then I would be surprised if the Chord gave you what you wanted.
    But if you want something a lot livelier then the Chord would be worth investigating.
    Given their differences, I would strongly recommend an audition of the Chord if you are buying new.

I'm Shari.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe it's the Rega Dac ++ I am after. I like the presentation of the DAC, just wanted something that would be more in line with the other components in my system as I feel this could be the weak point. I don't want a super cosy sound. I like a sound that is clean and emotional and not too analytical.

Auditioning is the way to go, so a shortlist would be good. I will then go along and do some comparisons.

Thanks again

I'm Gary.

Hi Shari,

I went from a Rega Dac to an M2Tech Young, which gave me the same "analogue" sound of the Rega but with far more bass control and realistic "in the room" sound.
    Was a natural stepping stone to me, more of the same but more so...as well as so much more.
    Looked for ages on something to upgrade it, and it took something significantly more expensive to better it.

Look for one 2nd hand, that'd be my recommendation.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 19-02-2018 at 05:47.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Rob.

Um .... if you're looking for a second hand M2Tech Young DAC I'm selling one: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-with-MCRU-PSU
    Rob.