+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kontrapunkt B

I'm James.

It was the tonal quality that struck me the most. I was listening to the Rodrigo y Gabriella first album and the sound of Gabriella knocking on the wood of the guitar was revelatory. I have heard this many times with many cartridges but the KB was the first cartridge that convinced me I was listening to actual wood being knocked. Every other cartridge has sounded like a recording where as the KB tonal quality and transparency made the sound seem so real.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It was the tonal quality that struck me the most. I was listening to the Rodrigo y Gabriella first album and the sound of Gabriella knocking on the wood of the guitar was revelatory. I have heard this many times with many cartridges but the KB was the first cartridge that convinced me I was listening to actual wood being knocked. Every other cartridge has sounded like a recording where as the KB tonal quality and transparency made the sound seem so real.
    Haha, yes, I know exactly what you mean.

There's an honesty about it. A real sense of a natural happening rather than recreation it's a reproduction tool and it's excellent bat its job. Does it have faults? Of course but they are far outweighed by the positives.

I'm James.

One thing I would say Oli is the Kontrapunkt b sounds fabulous with the K&K SUT so I expect it should be great with the Hashimoto.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Haha, yes, I know exactly what you mean.

There's an honesty about it. A real sense of a natural happening rather than recreation it's a reproduction tool and it's excellent at its job. Does it have faults? Of course but they are far outweighed by the positives.
    Thats exactly it for me with the Ortofons i've had hence I've stuck with them, they are my idea of Hi-fi delity, not imposing too much of something on the music, ie: romance, sweetness, drama etc. They let the music / recording do the talking which is what I want.
    There have been carts I've read about that sound so exciting so to speak, hyper, lively which some people like but I know I would eventually tire of - everyone has their 'thing'
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm James.

I expect that Cadenza Black you have Rob would be an interesting comparison with the Kontrapunkt B?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I expect that Cadenza Black you have Rob would be an interesting comparison with the Kontrapunkt B?
    Like the 2MB in particular, once you've nailed set-up and then found that spot, it is just fabulous and all you ever want to do is fire up ya system and play music
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 18-02-2018 at 20:15.
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Thats exactly it for me with the Ortofons i've had hence I've stuck with them, they are my idea of Hi-fi delity, not imposing too much of something on the music, ie: romance, sweetness, drama etc. They let the music / recording do the talking which is what I want.
    There have been carts I've read about that sound so exciting so to speak, hyper, lively which some people like but I know I would eventually tire of - everyone has their 'thing'
    Yes Rob, you're quite right there. I loved the flavour of the ZYX R50 Bloom I had But there was a definite "warmth" and when under scrutiny, lacked detail and resolution. Truth is, the Kb just revealed more. There are times, rare times!, I think "a bit more body would be nice here" but then I listen to something else and it's perfect. The more I hear of other carts, the more I now know there's no "one size fits all". An armoury of cartridges would be the best solution but who's got the will power to keep setting up a new cart every time you play a particular record?

The Kb is as close to a "one size fits all" cart as I've found. The ZYX r100 may well be in that box too but I haven't had one at home to confirm.

The Ortofon Vienna is better still (slightly). But rare, oh so rare!!!!

I'm Robert.

Yes Rob, you're quite right there. I loved the flavour of the ZYX R50 Bloom I had But there was a definite "warmth" and when under scrutiny, lacked detail and resolution. Truth is, the Kb just revealed more. There are times, rare times!, I think "a bit more body would be nice here" but then I listen to something else and it's perfect. The more I hear of other carts, the more I now know there's no "one size fits all". An armoury of cartridges would be the best solution but who's got the will power to keep setting up a new cart every time you play a particular record?

The Kb is as close to a "one size fits all" cart as I've found. The ZYX r100 may well be in that box too but I haven't had one at home to confirm.

The Ortofon Vienna is better still (slightly). But rare, oh so rare!!!!
    For me Ortofon's mission statement is clearly one they live and build there carts by being 'Accuracy of Sound'.

As I say, I find their carts tend to be 'even' and let the music talk more than anything else.

I was reading this old Review on the PW Winfeld, some of which I've copied below. I could identify that Ortofon dna that as I say does not get in the way of the music so when the music comes and you've nailed set up you are enthralled by how much of the recording you start to hear and I dont just mean detail, it's the textural info about the detail and all indvidual parts which just becomes even more insightful the further up you go in my experience...

Some high-end cartridges are more lyrical here, blending more orchestral colour and a more intimate presentation that does engage the listener in a compelling fashion. The Windfeld is drier than these romantics, more spacious, considered and impartial. Yet the Windfeld is not clinical, for clinicality suggests an antiseptic bleaching of music’s life and colour. Perhaps its musical expression is not as developed as a Transfiguration Orpheus, for example, because it does less to sweeten and flatter the performance.
    Want to hear a test of a cartridge’s tenacity? Try acapella voices working together in the tightest of keen harmonies, such as the klapa style from the former Yugoslavia. Croation band Lado sing with soul and joy, – seemingly simple voice lines that defeat most pickup cartridges and renders the music less than comfortable to access. Not so with the Windfeld, which sailed through the beats and overtones of closely-spaced voices, bringing a performance into the room.
    That this cartridge can track like a limpet and provide strain-free, accurate rendering of the recorded groove is not in any doubt. Yet it also belies a view that the Ortofon sound is somehow too accurate, too neutral and hence lacks drama or life. For by its reading of the groove with such freedom of prejudice and especially by seeming to preserve the natural phase of sound, from top to bottom, it simply plays any record to the best of that recording’s ability. If I now had to choose one desert island cartridge, the Windfeld would be it.
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    For me Ortofon's mission statement is clearly one they live and build there carts by being 'Accuracy of Sound'.

As I say, I find their carts tend to be 'even' and let the music talk more than anything else.

I was reading this old Review on the PW Winfeld, some of which I've copied below. I could identify that Ortofon dna that as I say does not get in the way of the music so when the music comes and you've nailed set up you are enthralled by how much of the recording you start to hear and I dont just mean detail, it's the textural info about the detail and all indvidual parts which just becomes even more insightful the further up you go in my experience...

Some high-end cartridges are more lyrical here, blending more orchestral colour and a more intimate presentation that does engage the listener in a compelling fashion. The Windfeld is drier than these romantics, more spacious, considered and impartial. Yet the Windfeld is not clinical, for clinicality suggests an antiseptic bleaching of music’s life and colour. Perhaps its musical expression is not as developed as a Transfiguration Orpheus, for example, because it does less to sweeten and flatter the performance.
    Want to hear a test of a cartridge’s tenacity? Try acapella voices working together in the tightest of keen harmonies, such as the klapa style from the former Yugoslavia. Croation band Lado sing with soul and joy, – seemingly simple voice lines that defeat most pickup cartridges and renders the music less than comfortable to access. Not so with the Windfeld, which sailed through the beats and overtones of closely-spaced voices, bringing a performance into the room.
    That this cartridge can track like a limpet and provide strain-free, accurate rendering of the recorded groove is not in any doubt. Yet it also belies a view that the Ortofon sound is somehow too accurate, too neutral and hence lacks drama or life. For by its reading of the groove with such freedom of prejudice and especially by seeming to preserve the natural phase of sound, from top to bottom, it simply plays any record to the best of that recording’s ability. If I now had to choose one desert island cartridge, the Windfeld would be it.
    Angus heard a Winfield recently. He was very complementary. I trust his opinion implicitly.

Yep, I'm an Ortofon fan now. I wasn't when I had the Rondo Red

That wasn't the best.

I'm Robert.

Angus heard a Winfield recently. He was very complementary. I trust his opinion implicitly.

Yep, I'm an Ortofon fan now. I wasn't when I had the Rondo Red

That wasn't the best.
    Rondo Red doesnt get bad reviews Oli, Was it new or used ?

I'd defo have a Winfeld after the Cadenza
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast