+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kontrapunkt B

I'm James.

Well I had a last spin with my borrowed Kontrapunkt B last night and I must say I will be sad to send it back. There is a touch of magic in this cartridge and it seems to be a perfect synergistic match with my system. It was often mentioned in old reviews that the KB went particularly well with valves and I must say this was my experience. Thinking back over the many hours of music I listened too, the outstanding quality was its handling of tonal quality in a very transparent soundstage. These were huge improvements over my 2M Black. Going back to the 2M the treble, although revealing, sounds harsh and spitty compared to the super smooth natural detail the KB exhibited. It is as if the 2M is trying to hard, it is too hifi sounding almost shouting look at me. There is also a leaness to the 2M which the KB did not have.

Not every recording benefited from using the KB in my system. Those that were good sounded magnificent across the board. Every aspect you could wish for was put forward in an even handed natural way. On not so great recordings there was not much to be gained although this is where the 2M helps, but it is probably a slightly artificial enhancement of the recording, a bit like the vivid setting on a TV.

Listening to Kontrapunkt B has made me think what the Ortofon Per Winfeld and the A95 must sound like. Mindblowing I should think? My problem now is in obtaining a really good condition KB or i may have to investigate their current range and try a Cadenza Blue and hope it has the same qualities.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Well I had a last spin with my borrowed Kontrapunkt B last night and I must say I will be sad to send it back. There is a touch of magic in this cartridge and it seems to be a perfect synergistic match with my system. It was often mentioned in old reviews that the KB went particularly well with valves and I must say this was my experience. Thinking back over the many hours of music I listened too, the outstanding quality was its handling of tonal quality in a very transparent soundstage. These were huge improvements over my 2M Black. Going back to the 2M the treble, although revealing, sounds harsh and spitty compared to the super smooth natural detail the KB exhibited. It is as if the 2M is trying to hard, it is too hifi sounding almost shouting look at me. There is also a leaness to the 2M which the KB did not have.

Not every recording benefited from using the KB in my system. Those that were good sounded magnificent across the board. Every aspect you could wish for was put forward in an even handed natural way. On not so great recordings there was not much to be gained although this is where the 2M helps, but it is probably a slightly artificial enhancement of the recording, a bit like the vivid setting on a TV.

Listening to Kontrapunkt B has made me think what the Ortofon Per Winfeld and the A95 must sound like. Mindblowing I should think? My problem now is in obtaining a really good condition KB or i may have to investigate their current range and try a Cadenza Blue and hope it has the same qualities.
    I can well imagine you not wanting to hand it back and a shame you have to.

As you say, the 2MB is great but like you, i too discovered there's something about a good mc that a good mm cant do.

Sorry to go over old ground James but when I had the 2MB, the times I experienced what you have mentioned are when it actually wasnt set optimally - honest.

I've found that window with the Shibata Ortofons is tiny even with on the fly I find it a bugger to nail simply because you have to hear it which isnt easy and takes a lot of care and patience. Once in I've never found the 2MB lean or harsh at all, quite the opposite in fact.

I'm in the middle of having to set my Cadenza B up again and it does my head - Its' the one thing I wish was just a bit easier, less critical, fatiguing with these carts, the Replicant profiles I'm led to believe are even fussier .

There is just no compromise with the Shibata Ortofons in my experience, BUT without a doubt ime, you'll be properly rewarded once you nail it.
    If it isnt quite there, you'll never really hear it in all it's glory or your system for that matter.

The best I've ever heard is when they are definitely in that spot (2MB, Quintet B and Cadenza B) they are most definitely vta critical which I think some folk cant get their heads around spouting 'what about differing record thicknesses' etc.

I'll share this - The bottom line and all said and done is that if the jockey aint sitting comfy in the saddle, aligned and happy, positioned properly in the saddle then the ride is not going to be a good one - think about it.....

I have been literally gobsmacked and in awe of the sound coming from albums I've played to death for decades - just stunning as a result of nailing the sweetspot which has then just allowed the system to do what it can at it's best ! just fab and thats why I'll keep on saying it, the importance of set up is paramount, absolutely. If the aim is to hear the system you / we have at it's best then attention to set up has to be paramount and is critical, otherwise the target is missed, wider than some would imagine or believe.

James, The PW and A95 set up properly will be as you say 'mind-blowing'. I think the A95 might be a bit much for me but from what I've read the Windfeld sounds like it would blow my mind - one day
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Jimbo,

I concur with your assessment of the Kb. Don't be hasty, you've got time on your side and there is usually a good one knocking about somewhere. I'll keep my eyes open for you. Actually, I may have an idea

I'll email you if it pans out.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I can well imagine you not wanting to hand it back and a shame you have to.

As you say, the 2MB is great but like you, i too discovered there's something about a good mc that a good mm cant do.

Sorry to go over old ground James but when I had the 2MB, the times I experienced what you have mentioned are when it actually wasnt set optimally - honest.

I've found that window with the Shibata Ortofons is tiny even with on the fly I find it a bugger to nail simply because you have to hear it which isnt easy and takes a lot of care and patience. Once in I've never found the 2MB lean or harsh at all, quite the opposite in fact.

I'm in the middle of having to set my Cadenza B up again and it does my head - Its' the one thing I wish was just a bit easier, less critical, fatiguing with these carts, the Replicant profiles I'm led to believe are even fussier .

There is just no compromise with the Shibata Ortofons in my experience, BUT without a doubt ime, you'll be properly rewarded once you nail it.
    If it isnt quite there, you'll never really hear it in all it's glory or your system for that matter.

The best I've ever heard is when they are definitely in that spot (2MB, Quintet B and Cadenza B) they are most definitely vta critical which I think some folk cant get their heads around spouting 'what about differing record thicknesses' etc.

I'll share this - The bottom line and all said and done is that if the jockey aint sitting comfy in the saddle, aligned and happy, positioned properly in the saddle then the ride is not going to be a good one - think about it.....

I have been literally gobsmacked and in awe of the sound coming from albums I've played to death for decades - just stunning as a result of nailing the sweetspot which has then just allowed the system to do what it can at it's best ! just fab and thats why I'll keep on saying it, the importance of set up is paramount, absolutely. If the aim is to hear the system you / we have at it's best then attention to set up has to be paramount and is critical, otherwise the target is missed, wider than some would imagine or believe.

James, The PW and A95 set up properly will be as you say 'mind-blowing'. I think the A95 might be a bit much for me but from what I've read the Windfeld sounds like it would blow my mind - one day
    Rob you are absolutely right regarding set up of the 2M but even when it is a 'happy jockey in the saddle' it still sounds exaggerated/ hyped in the treble compared to the KB which sounds so sweet and natural without any artifacts. The KB just sounds cleaner.

The Windfeld maybe the ultimate MC especially the new Ti which is slightly lighter than the old and would be a fantastic match to my arm.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Jimbo,

I concur with your assessment of the Kb. Don't be hasty, you've got time on your side and there is usually a good one knocking about somewhere. I'll keep my eyes open for you. Actually, I may have an idea

I'll email you if it pans out.
    Oli, I will hold out for a good longtime for a KB and would probably buy a refurb off Ortofon when one came up rather than go down another route. I don't believe the Cadenza Blue would be the same beast!

Interestingly I was speaking to my Hifi buddy out in Italy and he mentioned a fair bit of what I heard was because of the SUT I was using. He actually changed the jumpers in it for me and compared it against a lot of reference SUT's he has including a Hashimoto. I will definitely bring this along when we nail a date!

Bigman80 Guest

Oli, I will hold out for a good longtime for a KB and would probably buy a refurb off Ortofon when one came up rather than go down another route. I don't believe the Cadenza Blue would be the same beast!

Interestingly I was speaking to my Hifi buddy out in Italy and he mentioned a fair bit of what I heard was because of the SUT I was using. He actually changed the jumpers in it for me and compared it against a lot of reference SUT's he has including a Hashimoto. I will definitely bring this along when we nail a date!
    Ok mate. I look forward to hearing it.

I have sent you an email

I'm Robert.

Rob you are absolutely right regarding set up of the 2M but even when it is a 'happy jockey in the saddle' it still sounds exaggerated/ hyped in the treble compared to the KB which sounds so sweet and natural without any artifacts. The KB just sounds cleaner.

The Windfeld maybe the ultimate MC especially the new Ti which is slightly lighter than the old and would be a fantastic match to my arm.
    Agree on all counts. The treble on a good mc, and the bass for that matter are better and more natural.

The Ti i bet would be very special and one for when the windfall lands. Andy (REXTON) has his eye on that one too I'm sure
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Agree on all counts. The treble on a good mc, and the bass for that matter are better and more natural.

The Ti i bet would be very special and one for when the windfall lands. Andy (REXTON) has his eye on that one too I'm sure
    Just watching this video gets ye droolin!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chX535CWgUo

Bigman80 Guest

I'd go a95 if I had the spare cash. There's just something I like about the build.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'd go a95 if I had the spare cash. There's just something I like about the build.
    I know what you mean, does look rude, stylish, hard, purposeful and vulnerable / exposed all at the same time
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast