+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Allo Digione

I'm Simon.

Default Allo Digione

So, I placed an order last week for an Allo Digione board for my Raspberry Pi 2B. It arrived yesterday and after spending about an hour removing the HiFiBerry Digi+ board I was using and flashing the SD card with the latest Volumio I was ready to go.

Initial impressions are good. Straight off I can tell that detail and clarity have improved massively. Things popping out in songs which were barely or not audible before. The clarity is amazing, although on some recordings that are generally brighter sounding it can be a bit too ''clinical'' I think. What I also noticed is a bit of a slight lack of lower bass compared to the Digi+, although it could be that I'm now hearing the source recording more accurately and that the Digi+ was smearing the sound somewhat in that area. However, the bass now sounds super tight and clean, much easier to follow than before.

Still early days and while I don't generally believe in ''burn-in'' (although for some things it makes sense), I'll see how I get on over the coming weeks.

Will post updates on how I get on.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    So, I placed an order last week for an Allo Digione board for my Raspberry Pi 2B. It arrived yesterday and after spending about an hour removing the HiFiBerry Digi+ board I was using and flashing the SD card with the latest Volumio I was ready to go.

Initial impressions are good. Straight off I can tell that detail and clarity have improved massively. Things popping out in songs which were barely or not audible before. The clarity is amazing, although on some recordings that are generally brighter sounding it can be a bit too ''clinical'' I think. What I also noticed is a bit of a slight lack of lower bass compared to the Digi+, although it could be that I'm now hearing the source recording more accurately and that the Digi+ was smearing the sound somewhat in that area. However, the bass now sounds super tight and clean, much easier to follow than before.

Still early days and while I don't generally believe in ''burn-in'' (although for some things it makes sense), I'll see how I get on over the coming weeks. I haven't noticed a lack of bass compared to the Digi+ which I still have on an Rpi2, but I agree with you on the other points. Clarity and detail is of a much higher order. In fact, I am hearing things on familiar recordings that I was previously unaware of. The "balance" may sound on the bright side, but I am guessing you will have a different view in a week or so.

Geoff

Will post updates on how I get on.
    Glad you are pleased with the Digione. Your findings are similar to my own (I am using it with a Pi3). Detail is of a much higher order, due presumably to the lower jitter and noise. I did not find it bright or lacking bass. I am guessing you may change your view on that once you have been using it for a while.

Geoff

I'm stuart.

Where did you buy it from? I was looking last week but couldn't find anyone who had the DigiOne AND the DigiOne case.

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Where did you buy it from? I was looking last week but couldn't find anyone who had the DigiOne AND the DigiOne case.
    I recently ordered mine earlier this week (with case) from the allo.com. I am waiting for it to arrive.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Barry.

You can buy direct https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html

I'm Geoff.

I bought mine direct from allo.com back in September and as I recall had to wait for stocks of the case to arrive. I think the case is currently in stock.

The case is pretty good but benefits from one diy improvement. Being so light the case can shift around and vibrate. The flat face metal standoffs can also scratch the surface on which the player is mounted (mine is atop a Caiman SEG so I can use a very short cable).

Applying these to the four standoffs keeps the player fixed in one place and reduces vibrations. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are the perfect size.

Geoff

I'm Simon.

I ordered mine (plus case) via the Volumio online store. It still ships directly from allo but I believe Volumio will get a commission for the sale, which I thought would be good as I've been using Volumio for nearly 2 years now and it's fantastic.

I'm Neil.

Very interesting, ticks the boxes for me: galvanic isolation and a BNC output, and a well-thought out approach involving lots of regulators!
    Last edited by Yomanze; 19-02-2018 at 11:39.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

It's coming alive nicely now. Think I had a bad day initially (could of been anything, stress, background noise, etc - happens sometimes). Currently listening to some Rush and Budgie and the bass is sounding clean and chunky.

I'm Ian.

I'm part way through a move to an all-DIY digital setup. I've ordered one of these today and an MCRU linear power supply for the Pi. I'm hoping it will be good enough to replace my Bluesound Node 2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast