+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need suggestions re tonearm/headshell

I'm Giovanni.

Default Need suggestions re tonearm/headshell

Long story the shortest I can.

I bought a used MKI Gyrodec with lot of extras among which three tonearms, weird but true installed a Linn LV X, on the side a Zeta and an OEM Rega 300, both of these latter ones in need of rewire and I understand the ex owner buying this whilst eventually sending the other two to fix but he did't make it on time and as such all of his gear remained unused as it was...

I didn't play ,more than 4-5 discs with the turntable when I realized the belts being gone and also one of the wires connecting the shell to the pick-up being broken. My busy season was approaching so I shifted it all to better times, waited patiently till past Christmas and finally I said I wanna get myself new wires for the shell and then the belts, got the wires and realized that the Linn tonearm shell is not a conventional one, on the shell of course it needs female plugs but on the shell side it needs male ones which I wasn't aware and the female plug whose wire was broken is also bent so I Can't restore it and as such I have a turntable and three arms which I can't utilize and I am quite pi**ed off and seriously thinking to send it all to hell!

Now I don't want to spend money to rewire the Zeta nor the Rega, I am not old yet but don't want to bother with integrated headshell should I need to replace the wires but just found out that also the Linn tonearm, even tho the weakest of the three, not easy to work out so at this point I either find a Linn compatible headshell (and appropriate wires) or go straight ahead with another tonearm in the hope to being able to sell some of the other ones (Zeta, Rega, Linn) but at this moment in time I don't know which is the wisest option considering I am not ready to fork out money for the 4th tonearm nor I want to go and spend for a SME MKIV or MKV even if I could sell the three I own, I would make little use of the TT to justify more money for it if not the necessary to make it spin again.

Which move would you suggest to go through? Does it exist a shell compatible with Linn tonearms but with "regular" pins as to use normal wires?

Thank you

Giovanni

I'm John.

As your not able to use the deck at the moment, then another month won't make much difference so I would sell 2 of the arms to fund the repair of the 3rd. For my part I would sell the Linn & the Zeta, and then send the Rega to Origin Live for a rewire and structural upgrade.
    Another option ofcourse is to sell all 3 and use the funds for another arm.

I'm Charlie.

If you want an easier tonearm with removable headshells, I would sell all 3 and start again. Sell the tonearms as they are. Someone will buy them and send them off for rewiring.

The easiest solution is a tonearm which uses old fashioned SME fit headshells (as in the vintage 3009/3012). If you want a new tonearm, then something like a Jelco 750D should for the Gyro fine
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread