+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: quality usb audio cable

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Where would this isolation step go in the following set up?

Computer Source with USB output feeding USB to SPDiff converter feeding DAC.
    With an spdif converter in the setup you'd probably be better off with one of these, just goes in front of the DAC spdif...

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view...dif-ipurifier/

...FYI I've no experience of this product
    Cheers, Will

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Where would this isolation step go in the following set up?

Computer Source with USB output feeding USB to SPDiff converter feeding DAC.
    The USB to SPDIF converter itself should provide the isolation, no need to add another box (my Halide Bridge converter uses an output transformer). in fact, chances are that your SPDIF input uses a transformer anyway...

Isolators are only really 'needed' if the USB front end, or SPDIF input, is not galvanically isolated.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Looking at the above I think I need a male a to male b usb 2.0. I want to keep lengths to a minimum so for now I would want ideally 0.75m but could live with 0.5-1m. What are the best value "audiophile" level models, I've seen a few QEDs for sale on the forums before?
    Here you go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-0-5m-...dp/B007PKPV7A/

What you are looking for is a properly specified cable, which this cable is. I guarantee there'll be 'audiophile' cables out there that don't meet the proper specification for USB 2.0.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Thanks Brian, being a cheapskate and with good past experience with Chinese Sennheiser cables, I'm tempted by this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172919260288
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 16-02-2018 at 22:16.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    That’s sound advice and I had good results using a iFi iPurifier2, which as it so happens, I also have available for £60 posted (very recently upgraded to a iFi Nano iUSB 3.0).
    Thanks I'll bear that in mind but at the moment I want to seer if a cable upgrade will lead to an improvement, plus I'm looking at usb to spdif converters which I'm hoping will achieve the same thing.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Here you go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-0-5m-...dp/B007PKPV7A/

What you are looking for is a properly specified cable, which this cable is. I guarantee there'll be 'audiophile' cables out there that don't meet the proper specification for USB 2.0.
    I'll think about this, I was wondering that, my current cable is probably at least 10 years old and probably came with a printer or something so may not be 2.0 compliant which might explain why music sounds like mp3 quality at the moment. I'm worried the Chinese diy cable above may not be 2.0.

I'm Brian.

That's Brian, being a cheapskate and with good past experience with Chinese Sennheiser cables, I'm tempted by this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172919260288
    I might try one of these myself Lawrence
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Amazons own brand. That lights up is good cable
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

Thanks I'll bear that in mind but at the moment I want to seer if a cable upgrade will lead to an improvement, plus I'm looking at usb to spdif converters which I'm hoping will achieve the same thing.
    Fair point...I have a pi with a hifiberry digi+ pro board, which has isolation on the SPDIF output, a noticeable improvement in SQ...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    The USB to SPDIF converter itself should provide the isolation, no need to add another box (my Halide Bridge converter uses an output transformer). in fact, chances are that your SPDIF input uses a transformer anyway...

Isolators are only really 'needed' if the USB front end, or SPDIF input, is not galvanically isolated.
    Thanks Neil
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast