+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: quality usb audio cable

I'm Lawrence.

Default Wanted: quality usb audio cable

Don't know much about these, but does anyone have a usb cable they want to sell that would be an upgrade from the grey computer cable I have now. I think it's the standard type, a rectangular shape at one end like what goes in a pc and a more square shape at the other for the dac, no idea what these connectors are called.

I assume this would improve the sound from what people say.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Gareth.

What length are you after? From your description, you’ll be needing a USB A to USB B cable.

I'm Steve.

Sounds to me that you after a USB 'A' to USB 'B' cable. Trouble is, there's type '2' and '3' variants in both of those. Does the image attached help at all? Hmm, I see that the image is very small and just 17kb in size. It wasn't like that before I uploaded it, so unfortunately the forum has made it miniscule (thumbnail size), not me. Perhaps easier to take a look at this web page: http://www.l-com.com/content/USB-Tutorial.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Lawrence.

Looking at the above I think I need a male a to male b usb 2.0. I want to keep lengths to a minimum so for now I would want ideally 0.75m but could live with 0.5-1m. What are the best value "audiophile" level models, I've seen a few QEDs for sale on the forums before?

I'm Gareth.

I have available:

Chord USB Silver Plus cable (0.75m) for £29 posted
    Lavricables Reference Silver USB cable (0.3m) for £29 posted
    http://www.lavricables.com/cables/re...connect-cable/

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Looking at the above I think I need a male a to male b usb 2.0. I want to keep lengths to a minimum so for now I would want ideally 0.75m but could live with 0.5-1m. What are the best value "audiophile" level models, I've seen a few QEDs for sale on the forums before?
    IMHO the most important aspect of USB audio SQ is to introduce some form of isolation between the source streamer/computer and the DAC, there are various options available depending on budget...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Brian.

Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    IMHO the most important aspect of USB audio SQ is to introduce some form of isolation between the source streamer/computer and the DAC, there are various options available depending on budget...
    That’s sound advice and I had good results using a iFi iPurifier2, which as it so happens, I also have available for £60 posted (very recently upgraded to a iFi Nano iUSB 3.0).

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    That’s sound advice and I had good results using a iFi iPurifier2, which as it so happens, I also have available for £60 posted (very recently upgraded to a iFi Nano iUSB 3.0).
    I think we have a similar theory, DAC isolation is king!!!

I was using a purifier 2/ USB Power/gemini combo, I've now replaced the purifier2 and USB power with the Micro iUSB 3.0...the purifier2 and USB power are destined for my office setup...

A purifier 2 would be a good starting point...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Where would this isolation step go in the following set up?

Computer Source with USB output feeding USB to SPDiff converter feeding DAC.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast