+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another MOT Pass

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    The only Japanese car I've ever owned was an original Nissan Micra. Bearing in mind that I'm 6'2" and 24 stone it was a source of great amusement among my friends but I found it extremely comfortable and dirt cheap to run. It was more a case of putting it on rather than getting in.

I bet is was relialble though Ian...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Ian.

It just went on and on Bev, it was only bought as a stop gap between bigger cars but I kept it for ages. I was seduced back to the German market and haven't had anything else for years, I think my favourite was my Audi S6, amazingly comfortable and went like stink. I did over 200,000 miles in it. I really wanted the RS6 but just couldn't afford one. My current car is a BMW 325ci which has just passed it's MOT after not being used for over a year due to illness, not bad for an old car.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

It just went on and on Bev, it was only bought as a stop gap between bigger cars but I kept it for ages. I was seduced back to the German market and haven't had anything else for years, I think my favourite was my Audi S6, amazingly comfortable and went like stink. I did over 200,000 miles in it. I really wanted the RS6 but just couldn't afford one. My current car is a BMW 325ci which has just passed it's MOT after not being used for over a year due to illness, not bad for an old car.
    My local friend mechanic says for reliability there are the Jap's and then everything else... so I know what you mean

The Jap stuff is not the most comfortable and not the best handling of cars but for pure reliability they can't be touched

Many years ago I used to drive a BMW 325 which was absolutley lovely, we then had a 735 which was also very nice but definitely not that reliable

When I sold my Merc it had about 320,000 miles on it and the chap that purchased it drove to Switzerland and back!.. I seriously doubt whether the Prius will do that sort of mileage but certainly it will probably do in excess of 250,000 with little trouble

I've got about 114,000 on the Prius and to be honest it still feels like a new car to me
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Ian.

Do the Prius batteries have a limited life?, being a hybrid I guess there isn't quite the work load on them that a purely battery powered car has. I just can't get passed nice big engines.....now what might that say about me
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

Do the Prius batteries have a limited life?, being a hybrid I guess there isn't quite the work load on them that a purely battery powered car has. I just can't get passed nice big engines.....now what might that say about me
    It is a bit of a myth about battery life on the Prius.... those not in the 'know' say they have a limited life but Toyota dealers very rarely have to replace them. I purchased my Prius from a Toyota dealer and I have it in writing that if the hybrid battery ever fails that Toyota UK will pay for 90% of the cost of replacement, which I thought was pretty good. To be honest it's not something I worry about. Each year I have it serviced they do what is called a "Hybrid Health Check" and it's always passed with no problems

When we had the BMW 735 and took it to Germany in 1989/90, when the wall was coming down, we broke down on Glienicke Bridge... nightmare. We had to 'nurse' it back to the UK... everytime we had to stop for fuel we couldn't switch it off otherwise we couldn't get it started again..

Don't get me wrong I love German cars, both BMW's and Mercs, but for pure reliablity it has to be the Jap's
    Bev

I'm Ian.

I've had 3 E class Mercs and loved driving them, trouble was they rusted very badly. VW Passat was good, that did 390,000 miles. As I said I loved the Audi, I went through a very bad patch a few years ago and the Audi was my home for 3 months so it has a special memory for me.
    I guess we will all be driving electric cars eventually and they are definitely getting better. I quite fancied a Segway just for fun but would probably break it if I stood on it lol
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I've had 3 E class Mercs and loved driving them, trouble was they rusted very badly. VW Passat was good, that did 390,000 miles. As I said I loved the Audi, I went through a very bad patch a few years ago and the Audi was my home for 3 months so it has a special memory for me.
    I guess we will all be driving electric cars eventually and they are definitely getting better. I quite fancied a Segway just for fun but would probably break it if I stood on it lol
    Sorry to hear about the Audi being your home Ian...

My Merc was an E class as well, a 26 year old E 300D auto W124 with no rust . The E Class W210 that followed was a lovely car but rust was definitley the problem, Colin had one for a while which was rust free but that was an exception

The Segway appeals to me as well... But I would probably break it as well...
    Bev

I'm Ian.

I always wanted a Jag but the driving position is all wrong for me and just generally too small for my ample physique. I think my next car will be a Volvo XC90 or something similar.
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I always wanted a Jag but the driving position is all wrong for me and just generally too small for my ample physique. I think my next car will be a Volvo XC90 or something similar.
    I always hankered after the old XJ6, I did own one for a few months years ago and even though it had seen better days it still did 120mph with ease, a lovely car

We looked at the XC90 before purchasing the Land Cruiser for towing the caravan. It's a lovely vehicle but reading up on them they were not as reliable as the big Toyota. I think the auto box can give some major issues on the Volvo and needs to be carefully checked. I do like Volvo's in general though; I had a couple of the old 240's and Colin had a 760 which was very nice apart from the French derived V6 engine which was a nightmare
    Bev

I'm Ian.

I do like big cars, mainly because of my size but also the comfort level and equipment is appealing, gotta love a gadget. My sister has recently bought a Porsche Boxter S, lovely thing but I couldn't get in it without the aid of Vasaline and warm spoons.
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast