+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linn Asak

I'm Paul.

I think a retip is a good idea - thanks for the, er .. tip

Any idea how much this would cost ??
    Is it just van den Hul that perform this kind of service ?
    I've not given it much thought before ...
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

More seriously (for the benefit of Paul), in my opinion, backed up with direct and extensive experience of using the cartridge concerned, along with other Linn cartridges from the same era, such as the Trak and Karma, the Asak is a highly capable, musical sounding cartridge, produced in the days when they were 'voiced' rather differently from those today!

Therefore, Paul, I'm not surprised that you're enjoying it and that you've never heard your favourite music sound so good, particularly if until now you've been using only modern MC cartridges, many of which, to my ears, are 'all hi-fi and no music', and with a tonal balance tipped to exaggerate high-frequencies, in the quest to be considered as 'detailed'.

The Asak, in that respect, harks from a different era, and if its original stylus, cantilever and coils are in good condition, then I'd leave well alone until you're forced into renewing the former, through wear; at which point you can follow Mark's (good) advice and hopefully end up with something that doesn't sound too different, and most importantly, lose what made your Asak sound so enjoyable in the first place.

In the meantime, enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    I think a retip is a good idea - thanks for the, er .. tip

Any idea how much this would cost ??
    Is it just van den Hul that perform this kind of service ?
    I've not given it much thought before ...
    Speak to Goldring. They took over the manufacture of cartridges for Linn and may well be geared up to deal with the Asak. Goldring undertake repairs and retips for many makes other than their own. The quality of the work is reputed to be good. Plus, you are dealing with a UK company with their support.

Don't retip unless necessary though. Or you want a tip profile upgrade. They may be willing to just inspect it for you, to advise on condition.

Link: http://www.goldring.co.uk/cartridge-repair.htm

Last edited by walpurgis; 16-02-2018 at 11:42.

I'm Paul.

That's great. Nice one, Geoff - thanks a lot
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm martin.

Default Linn Asak

Back in the day I replaced the Supex Grace with an Ittok Asak which I followed with an Asak T. Not a bad cartridge I think i’ve Still got the T upstairs in my box of spares. I can’t see that a 40 year old cartridge is still sounding good no offence.

Regards,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinjohn308 View Post
    I can’t see that a 40 year old cartridge is still sounding good no offence.
    If it's been stored properly and looked after, why not? A couple of years ago, I bought a mint, boxed as new, 60-year old cartridge (original Ortofon SPU, from 1958), and it sounded stunning - and in many ways was better than a lot of what is produced today!

And I have other vintage cartridges, from the 60s, 70s and 80s, which also sound superb. When something was originally built to be good (to high standards), that goodness doesn't necessarily diminish with age...

We need to rid ourselves of the false notion that genuine progress is continually being made in audio [the operative words there being "genuine" and "continually"], and therefore that newest is *always* best!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Default Asaka’s too :)

I now have 2 Asaka’s as my preferred cartridges - both still on original tip. The second one I bought cheap as worn out intending to re-tip it as my old one was also sounding a bit dull. I also bought a decent 10x loupe to inspect them properly...both just needed cleaning

Richard

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Surely this is more appropriate for your Technics..... .
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Speak to Goldring. They took over the manufacture of cartridges for Linn and may well be geared up to deal with the Asak. Goldring undertake repairs and retips for many makes other than their own. The quality of the work is reputed to be good. Plus, you are dealing with a UK company with their support.

Don't retip unless necessary though. Or you want a tip profile upgrade. They may be willing to just inspect it for you, to advise on condition.

Link: http://www.goldring.co.uk/cartridge-repair.htm
    Although Goldring are a big operation the re-tips are all done by one man. Cost is £300 to £400 depending on what you get done. They did my current cartridge and also recently did a friends Asak - both of us are delighted with the results.
    Account Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Surely this is more appropriate for your Technics..... .
    Haha - I knew you'd say that!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12