+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Yamaha A-S500 amplifier -Any views on this amp

I'm Anto.

Default Just bought a Yamaha A-S500 amplifier -Any views on this amp

Got a little impulsive this morning , and agreed to buy a Yamaha A-S500 amp from a gentleman . £180 around 4 yrs old I think
    I like the reviews I read ! This amp is in black and the seller is replacing it with one in silver to match his other stuff ,he loves them so much !! )
    Boxed , looks mint and remote included , and an opportunity to listen to it (or the silver one) in its home system ,not too far away from here !

So , I can't wait to see if its going to be an improvement over my oldish Technics SU -VX700 , which ,while similar power output ,90 watt per channel , was a little tired and messed with when I bought it 18 months ago!!
    My Tannoy 635's D 50's are ready and waiting
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Martin.

Not heard one but supposed to be very good. They certainly look good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Nice one Anto. Hope it hits spot
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Anto.

Thanks fellas
    I was only thinking yesterday how I had never got impulsive any more , and couldn't be bothered to upgrade anything at present or in the foreseeable future , then I go and google the reviews on the amp, (which are very very good) and bang , there I go again
    Hopefully new enough , little enough used , to stand me for a while

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Got a little impulsive this morning , and agreed to buy a Yamaha A-S500 amp from a gentleman . £180 around 4 yrs old I think
    I like the reviews I read ! This amp is in black and the seller is replacing it with one in silver to match his other stuff ,he loves them so much !! )
    Boxed , looks mint and remote included , and an opportunity to listen to it (or the silver one) in its home system ,not too far away from here !

So , I can't wait to see if its going to be an improvement over my oldish Technics SU -VX700 , which ,while similar power output ,90 watt per channel , was a little tired and messed with when I bought it 18 months ago!!
    Quality aside, the price seems high given that the A-S501 can be had for 249 quid new. As I understand it, the 501 has the same amp as the 500 but with a Yamaha DAC built in.

Geoff

I'm Anto.

Nearly 2 yrs old but little use apparently- its mint.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post

I had a 501.basically the same but with Dac, I paid £199 brand New, big powerful sound, I liked it
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Grant.

Oops i thought it was the one with a dac. Nevertheless if its in nice nick then it should be value for money
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Had one of those I moved on a couple of years back, always found it a little bright with the Tannoy Mercury floorstanders I had at the time but it may match your speakers better.

I'm Shane.

Had one once. Nothing special to my ears. But maybe special to someone else!

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast