+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 40yr Old MC head amp

I'm Colin.

Default 40yr Old MC head amp

The last few days I have been testing and repairing a Magnum Pre-Amp and Power amp I designed for Etude in Belgium now nearly 40yrs ago. I was surprised to see that I had used my long forgotten Patented (now out of date) MC head amp. Even more surprised when testing it that the noise flour was a few dB lower than I expected when one considerer the new device we have today. I thought some of you Techy Buffs would like to see the circuit so here is the basic concept, Have fun.

sorry about spelling chaps wee = we
    Last edited by Colin Wonfor; 15-02-2018 at 09:17. Reason: spelling

I'm Grant.

nice circuit... great idea using resistors
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    nice circuit... great idea using resistors
    I think the current sources (I1 and I2) are actually transistors. The resistors are used to convert current modulations into voltage modulations - just like in most circuits.

I'm Shane.

If you were building this as s stand-alone head amp, what would you use for a power supply?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Colin.

I did using a transistor and a green LED but the transistor had a low Rbe which helps so the limiting factor was the HFE, two of the circuit was used and the ref voltage the green LED was common giving me a random noise and a 3dB cut. There are 1000s of these circuit in Magnum's working well, at the time LM741 was the class act op-amp and NE5532 series was to be honest shit.
    The worst source of noise was the PSU, but since that is my design skill set and I had to work on PSU with 10nV noise floor at lees than 1Hz no real problem. And some at 55V 100,000Amps (battery charger not for mobile phones) using transistors and thyristors and transformers at 7 English tons, tiny 1mA PSU's are easy.

Fun days and big bits no real SMD and pebble glasses to wear, now I am 65 they seem to be getting thicker every month, or are they cheating and making them smaller ?

Oh I used spice in this case only to act a simply drawing package, in real life there are 2 NPN and 2 PNP transistors in each stereo pair of constant current source on the same substrate and the design has been working for 40yrs, oh when I took it to Rotterdam I had the response by the Prof this can't work, oh dear I took the prototype out of my briefcase and guess what it works.

So Spice was not used and at the time there was no Spice only in Curry. he he

+ Reply to Thread