+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPU Cartridge

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Only issue I see, Lee, is personally I wouldn't use a traditional SPU on a belt-drive turntable, unless it was of the high-mass variety, with a powerful motor (a la Platine Verdier, etc), simply because of possibly straining the motor system with 30 grams worth of headshell and cartridge, tracking records at 4g VTF.

On a belt-drive turntable, powered by a low-torque motor, it could result in stylus drag (as the combined weight of the above will be significant), and thus potentially increase wow, which will degrade sound quality... Does your Spacedeck have a reasonably powerful motor, in order to compensate for that effect?

That's why I'd usually only use traditional SPUs (those inside fixed headshells) on D/D or idler turntables, and a 'Royal N' on others. See here: https://www.ortofon.com/spu-royal-n-p-461

That will give you the SPU sound, fitted to a standard detachable headshell on your Jelco, but without the extra mass of the fixed headshell variety of SPU. Just something for you to consider, as in your circumstances it might be the best option

Marco.
    Hi Marco

Many thanks for that mate, I had not considered this as an issue but do see where your coming from to be honest. The motor on the Spacedeck is the standard one, and I believe they are the low torque design. I think for the time being I will keep away from the SPU and run with what I have got, also it looks like Im going to become a member of the Idler club soon, hoping to pick up a mint Lenco GL75 a week on sunday, maybe further down the line if and when I change the arm I will get an SPU for that.

Many thanks mate

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, Lee. I wasn't sure if you'd considered the 'drag' factor, but it's a significant one, as the resulting sound wouldn't be enjoyable, and it's something that could be hard to put your finger on - possibly even leading to you blaming the cartridge itself...

SPUs (much like DL-103s) aren't cartridges you just fit onto any arm or turntable, without some degree of thought, and preferably a good deal of experience!

I think it's a good idea to wait until you get your idler deck, and possibly also fit another arm more suited for use with an SPU, as that way you'll get the best out of your purchase of one. I'd also recommend using any SPU with a top-notch, high-gain phono stage, and preferably in conjunction with a quality SUT or headamp, designed to optimise its sonic and electrical characteristics.

Anyway, if I can be of any further help, just let me know!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ked.

I heard the SPU a85 and a95 on the Schick on a Notts Dais at Silvercore. It was excellent.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thanks for that, Ked. Well, there you go, it could work on a Spacedeck (if the motor used is the same as that on the Dais), although the (rather SPU-friendly) Schick arm may have been significantly influencing matters.

I'll still say that I don't consider SPUs, and low-torque motor belt-drive T/Ts, as an ideal match, and would be confident in predicting that they'll usually sound better, with an appropriate arm, on the likes of SP10s or TD-124s.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lee.

I use the Jelco 750D at the moment which will be swapped out at some point for the new Jelco 950 series as they appear to be a decent buy for the money with the knife edge bearing and adjustable VTA on the fly. If I keep the Lenco I can throw the 750 D into that, all food for thought
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12