+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: suggested finish for mahogany plinth

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Nathan, that TT2 of yours looks fantastic! Nice job. How did the walnut armboard sound, compared to the original plywood one? Did you notice any difference? I'm thinking of making one up for my TT2, but in a blond wood like birds eye or curly maple. According to Shane they did a bunch of testing of armboard materials and the 2-layer 9mm birch ply sounded best. Not sure if they tested solid hardwoods though.

Cheers,
    Svend
    Thank you Svend!

I'll be honest and say to my ears I didn't notice any difference! There possibly could have been but I never heard it.
    I've owned 3 TT2's 2 of which were standard and the one above but to me they all sounded the same. Sorry but it's the truth

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    Thank you Svend!

I'll be honest and say to my ears I didn't notice any difference! There possibly could have been but I never heard it.
    I've owned 3 TT2's 2 of which were standard and the one above but to me they all sounded the same. Sorry but it's the truth
    Nathan, no need to apologize! Actually that's good news, as it means I can probably use solid hardwood for a new armboard. I have lots of odd pieces of black walnut, cherry and maple lying around in the workshop, so I'm sure to find one that will suit. BTW, my TT2 has a black plinth, which seems to be rather uncommon. A nice blond birds-eye maple, or even cherry, would look sharp as an armboard and would contrast the black nicely. Summer project...

I'm Phil.

Getting there with this. Maybe one more coat before waxing it...

Last edited by MarginWalker; 25-02-2018 at 16:32.

I'm Svend.

Looking great Phil! Nice depth of colour there. How'd the surface texture turn out? Nice and smooth?

I see that you have the requisite sustaining beverages close at hand . No job started without it....

I'm Grant.

grain has come up well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Thanks guys, I’m really pleased with how it’s looking and it feels beautifully smooth. The process is actually quite addictive, might need to make a new plinth for my Trio KD-1033 too!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I'm sure there are members who will disagree with me but that beautifully smooth feel may be lost if you wax it. My experience is that wax always feels slightly soft and tacky - which is what wax is.
    Hmm, I was planning on using a light spray of this ...

https://www.amazon.com/Goddards-Cabi.../dp/B001AH7EQA

just to bring up the shine.

I'm Grant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-BBL...son+Liquid+Wax
    this is good,
    and i use this as a top up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

your one looks very good too..not seen it b4
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Svend.

Phil, I'm pretty sure the Goddard product will not be sticky. I've used the paste version of that Cabinet Maker's Wax, and it has never been sticky on anything. I quickly glanced through a few Amazon reviews and the comments seem to agree. If you're in doubt, try a spritz on a piece of finished scrap wood and see how it turns out. It will be important to REALLY buff it out thoroughly and don't leave a heavy layer on. Don't be afraid to really lay into it -- no matter how hard you rub, you will always leave a thin coat of wax on....pretty much impossible to buff too hard. Also, make sure to let the Danish oil fully cure for a few days before you wax.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast