+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: suggested finish for mahogany plinth

I'm Nathan.

Nice Grant, very nice indeed.

I'm Phil.

First coat of Danish oil done and it's looking really good (so far not as professional as Nathan or Grant's but good nonetheless). Will steel wool (0000) have the same effect as using 400 grit aluminium oxide paper between coats?

Nathan - did you apply any way to your plinth after the final coat or did you just buff it to that sheen?

I'm Svend.

400 grit paper works through cutting action of the sharp edges of the tiny particles of, well, grit. It will "cut" into the surface, but only a tiny amount due to the fine grit. Steel wool will act more by abrasion rather than cutting, which with the fine 0000 grade will be like giving it a buffing. I would say the 400 grit paper will give a smoother finish, esp if you wet sand as in the article.

Great to hear it's turning out well for you.

Svend

I'm Grant.

i often start with grit then go to wool. but if using real wire wool make sure you watch out fot fine bit being left on project. does give a nice finish tho. last one i usually use pummice powder
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i often start with grit then go to wool. but if using real wire wool make sure you watch out fot fine bit being left on project. does give a nice finish tho. last one i usually use pummice powder
    Cheers Grant - is it on the final finish that ypou use pummice powder or the penultimate finish before the final application.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    400 grit paper works through cutting action of the sharp edges of the tiny particles of, well, grit. It will "cut" into the surface, but only a tiny amount due to the fine grit. Steel wool will act more by abrasion rather than cutting, which with the fine 0000 grade will be like giving it a buffing. I would say the 400 grit paper will give a smoother finish, esp if you wet sand as in the article.

Great to hear it's turning out well for you.

Svend
    Thanks Svend. I'll give the fisrt couple off coats a light sanding in between before moving onto the steel wool and then potentially pummice powder/rottenstone

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    First coat of Danish oil done and it's looking really good (so far not as professional as Nathan or Grant's but good nonetheless). Will steel wool (0000) have the same effect as using 400 grit aluminium oxide paper between coats?

Nathan - did you apply any way to your plinth after the final coat or did you just buff it to that sheen?
    Hi Phil,

I can't really recall what I did on the final coat but I think I just rubbed lightly with the 400 grit then waxed with a bees wax furniture wax I had in the cupboard.
    The finish was very smooth and looked very nice indeed.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    Thanks Svend. I'll give the fisrt couple off coats a light sanding in between before moving onto the steel wool and then potentially pummice powder/rottenstone
    Sounds good Phil. If you're sanding between coats anyway, why not try wet sanding the second coat? Sorry to keep banging away about this, but it really does give a beautiful smooth finish. Highly recommended, and easy to do.

Don't forget to post some pictures

I'm Svend.

Nathan, that TT2 of yours looks fantastic! Nice job. How did the walnut armboard sound, compared to the original plywood one? Did you notice any difference? I'm thinking of making one up for my TT2, but in a blond wood like birds eye or curly maple. According to Shane they did a bunch of testing of armboard materials and the 2-layer 9mm birch ply sounded best. Not sure if they tested solid hardwoods though.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Sounds good Phil. If you're sanding between coats anyway, why not try wet sanding the second coat? Sorry to keep banging away about this, but it really does give a beautiful smooth finish. Highly recommended, and easy to do.

Don't forget to post some pictures
    I will do just that Svend!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast