+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: suggested finish for mahogany plinth

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Svend.

Phil, I'm pretty sure the Goddard product will not be sticky. I've used the paste version of that Cabinet Maker's Wax, and it has never been sticky on anything. I quickly glanced through a few Amazon reviews and the comments seem to agree. If you're in doubt, try a spritz on a piece of finished scrap wood and see how it turns out. It will be important to REALLY buff it out thoroughly and don't leave a heavy layer on. Don't be afraid to really lay into it -- no matter how hard you rub, you will always leave a thin coat of wax on....pretty much impossible to buff too hard. Also, make sure to let the Danish oil fully cure for a few days before you wax.

I'm Phil.

Thanks Grant - i have ordered some from there to try out. I dropped the Thorens into its new plinth last night and took the chance to upgrade the RCA connectors with something better qualiuty and better shielded. Just waiting for the new dust cover and my new DAC to arrive and I will be able to sit back and enjoy it before i get started on the next project!

I'm Grant.

looks nice. very good decks.. need a thick base too
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Phil.

Cheers, Grant. I replaced the base board with a nice thick piece of MDF with holes drilled so i can access the suspension. Overall i'm pretty pleased with it - its certainly an improvement on the chipboard and damaged veneer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789