+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted: Sansui BA 2000 power amplifier - plus advice for temporary solution

I'm Jonathan.

Default Wanted: Sansui BA 2000 power amplifier - plus advice for temporary solution

I'd like to find a Sansui BA 2000 power amplifier to partner my matching CA 2000 preamp. There's one in Spain advertised on Ebay, but at a price of more than £2000 plus postage - surely too much, or at any rate well beyond what I have to spend. Since these are rare and i may need to wait for quite some time before one comes up that I can afford, can anyone suggest something to keep me going in the meantime? i.e. a musically pleasing, temporary stereo power amplifier to match with my exiting preamp? I'd like something fairly low in price but nonetheless at least medium in power, to drive a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Domus speakers that I've just acquired for this system. My sources are a Pioneer TX 9100 tuner, a Goldring Lenco GL75 turntable, and a run-of-the-mill Philips CD (even modest Philips CDs can sound good).

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanW View Post
    I'd like to find a Sansui BA 2000 power amplifier to partner my matching CA 2000 preamp. There's one in Spain advertised on Ebay, but at a price of more than £2000 plus postage - surely too much, or at any rate well beyond what I have to spend. Since these are rare and i may need to wait for quite some time before one comes up that I can afford, can anyone suggest something to keep me going in the meantime? i.e. a musically pleasing, temporary stereo power amplifier to match with my exiting preamp? I'd like something fairly low in price but nonetheless at least medium in power, to drive a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Domus speakers that I've just acquired for this system. My sources are a Pioneer TX 9100 tuner, a Goldring Lenco GL75 turntable, and a run-of-the-mill Philips CD (even modest Philips CDs can sound good).
    I can lend you something until you are sorted, it's a yamaha processor but it can be switched to power amp mode and sounds ready quite good. I've used it in my second system on and off for years. It's 70wpc but that's x3 so more if 2 channel. I'm in north London. Can also give you some advice on building a good system for peanuts if you come to collect.

I'm Jonathan.

This is amazingly kind of you. I would greatly appreciate the advice as well as the loan! I'm new to the forum, so not quite sure how to send you a PM.

I'm Phil.

You need a few more posts (6 i think?) before you can send PMs on here

I'm Lawrence.

Just reply to this and your welcome post a few more times and you're sorted, I can then give you my phone number if you want to borrow the amp. Just noticed you've got Krell amps in your main system, not sure you're in need of any advice after all but the offer still stands!

I'm Jonathan.

My main system was set in stone many years ago. I couldn't afford it again now. Most of my fun - and chopping and changing - is on my second system. I would love to get the matching power amplifier to my Sansui preamp, because I think it would sound rather nice. (There are sites that say it does, at any rate.) That said, there may well be power amps at a much lower price than the Sansui BA 2000 that would produce sound just as good. For instance, my Sansui preamp played well into some Leak LT12+ valve amps that I've recently parted with. I doubt if those Leaks would have been powerful enough to drive the SF Concertino Domus speakers that I've now bought for this system. Hence my search - for the Sansui BA 2000 power amp if I can find one, but in the meantime for something decent to fill the gap. Your offer, Lawrence, to lend me the Yamaha processor is hugely appreciated. I would greatly enjoy chatting to you as well because, contrary to what you surmise, I always need advice, and am never so proud as to think I don't. I lack the electronic and technical knowledge of so many on this forum.

I'm Darren.

Default Sansui BA-2000

My old fella has one Jonathan still interested in the BA-2000.

+ Reply to Thread