+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shipping between the UK and the continent...

I'm Charlie.

Default Shipping between the UK and the continent...

Hi all!

Has anyone bought any larger items of hi-fi from the continent and used a shipping/transport service to get them to the UK (or vice versa)?

I am currently on the hunt for a pair of very big Tannoy speakers (old Arden Mk1s) and was wondering, if I found a pair on the continent, how I would get them sent to the UK with a service that is reliable and won't require me to sell my organs to afford it...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Charlie

I'm Adrian.

I've had many things (including Tannoy) shipped without a problem. But it depends on your luck really.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Andy.

"The Continent" can vary greatly depending on which part. France or Hermany is likely to be cheap, fast and safe. Italy is more likely to end in tears. Some far flung places like Malta and Cyprus are far more expensive. Scandinavian countries can lead to duties being charged, depending on their EU status.

Edit: bloody sausage fingers! Germany.....not Hermany

I'm Charlie.

Thanks for the replies!

I suspect that if I found what I was looking for outside of the UK it would be in France (in part for language reasons...). Have any of you guys got any shipping/courier company recommendations for sending something as big as a pair of Tannoy Ardens from France to the UK? I am just trying to work out how much I should mentally be adding to whatever I can find the speakers for!

Cheers!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistry View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

I suspect that if I found what I was looking for outside of the UK it would be in France (in part for language reasons...). Have any of you guys got any shipping/courier company recommendations for sending something as big as a pair of Tannoy Ardens from France to the UK? I am just trying to work out how much I should mentally be adding to whatever I can find the speakers for!

Cheers!
    If I was going to buy something that large and presumably expensive I would rent a small van and go over to France to collect myself and ensure they were in good condition prior to parting with any cash!

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If I was going to buy something that large and presumably expensive I would rent a small van and go over to France to collect myself and ensure they were in good condition prior to parting with any cash!

Geoff
    That's the best way to do it. Starts getting silly if you go any further that France though. But renting a vehicle in the UK with the intention of taking it abroad is not as straightforward as renting one to use in the UK.

International shippers will charge by volume, not actual weight, if you work out the rough dimensions of the shipment you can usually get a quote from their websites.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistry View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Cheers!
    About €200 for shipping. But navy carriers won't ship large boxes, ups for example. For big boxes you need TNT etc.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's the best way to do it. Starts getting silly if you go any further that France though. But renting a vehicle in the UK with the intention of taking it abroad is not as straightforward as renting one to use in the UK.

International shippers will charge by volume, not actual weight, if you work out the rough dimensions of the shipment you can usually get a quote from their websites.
    An alternative is to use own car and get a "U-Haul" type trailer. Bring back a few nice cheeses and wines to round off the trip!

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread