+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had 50 grand

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    +1 I recall there was a Kondo room at Munich last year - mightily impressed. Can't recall what speakers they were driving (probably ANs).

But if I were to spend £50k I would dedicate £20k on a proper room and the balance probably around MBLs or something similar. Or maybe a Tannoy centred setup. But I would run out of cash ....
    There were 2 rooms at Munich last year and 2016 with Kondo electronics, one was was the Living Voice room with the Vox Elysium speakers and it sounded quite breathtaking each time I visited, the other was a Kondo room that had some speakers with ribbon tweeter which I just couldn't get on with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Easy. Kondo M-77 preamp and spend the change on a SUT to go with it.

I had the Kondo in my system for one all too brief evening and it was a game-changer - I learned that evening just what a truly exceptional preamp can bring to the table.

My EAR 912 is far from shabby indeed it's the best pre I've heard in my setup at least apart from the Kondo, beating a tubed Kondo M7. But if I had £50k burning a hole that's where I'd spend it.

Edit: just to add I'm happy to answer the OP's question in the spirit in which the question was posed .... since no-one is **actually** going to give any of us fifty grand to play with, none of us need to get into any kind of virtue signalling/moral olympics about it - this is just a bit of fun.
    The M77 is quite something, doesn't do some hifi things but musically it was unlike anything else I have played in my system.

SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    There were 2 rooms at Munich last year and 2016 with Kondo electronics, one was was the Living Voice room with the Vox Elysium speakers and it sounded quite breathtaking each time I visited, the other was a Kondo room that had some speakers with ribbon tweeter which I just couldn't get on with.
    Agreed I found the Kondo room itself a disappointment, the speakers in particular were terrible. What were they thinking?!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post

Ah yes those Vox Elysium speakers were quite something.

Pity £50k would not barely touch my 'wish' list. I have to make do with 40+ year old third hand speakers.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

Pity £50k would not barely touch my 'wish' list. I have to make do with 40+ year old third hand speakers.
    Yes it's tough. 50 year old turntable motor unit and power amp in my case, 40 year old drive units. Hard times.

I'm Edward.

That would make for an interesting thread. Oldest hi-fi item still in daily/regular use.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

My ADC 10E Mk.II cartridge still gets used and that's fifty years old.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Inspired by Jamie's thread but bigger!

My question is: if someone gave you £50,000 which you had to spend on improving the sound of your system, would you throw all the money at more expensive components, or could better improvements be had by building a dedicated listening room designed to work with your existing kit?
    For £50k I'd property renovations, including soundproofing and then equip a half decent recording studio/rehearsal space. That way I'd save money on band rehearsals, could perhaps rent it out and of course make my own music in there.

Nothing too fancy like Neve consoles or owt like that, just some decent kit to get the job done. Of course I'd need some new guitars and amps and stuff... That goes without saying.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    For £50k I'd property renovations, including soundproofing and then equip a half decent recording studio/rehearsal space. That way I'd save money on band rehearsals, could perhaps rent it out and of course make my own music in there.

Nothing too fancy like Neve consoles or owt like that, just some decent kit to get the job done. Of course I'd need some new guitars and amps and stuff... That goes without saying.
    I’m changing my answer, I like your idea better!

Russell

I'm gone.

If I had 50 grand to spend ..... I'd stash it away and I'd carry on exactly as I am now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast