+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xiang Sheng valve output modifications

I'm Alan.

Default Xiang Sheng valve output modifications

I've had the Xiang Sheng DAC-01A for a while now and was never struck with the quality of the 'tube' output, preferring the 'normal' output.
    However even though the DAC is of commendable quality at its price point, the normal output does have that little bit of digital glare.

On investigation of the valve output/buffer stage I found that both input and output coupling capacitors were of Polyester dielectric, a definite no-no in my book, plus the valve was run at quite a low anode (plate) voltage, so certainly not in the best linear portion of the characteristic curves.

Also, just to provides that sods law element, the valve pin out was like nothing else, a 6N3P. So a little more complicated modification than I would have hoped for.
    First off I replaced the output capacitors with some decent polypropylene's but that didn't make much of a difference on its own.

The valve socket is on a vertical daughter board so that had to come out and an alternative provided that could offer the different pinout.
    The heater and HT power supplies were simplified in order to provide a greater voltage. The valve chosen was a PCC88.

The input capacitors were also changed for some polyprops, the yellow ones in the picture.

The end result was a healthy 90V across the valve plus a much cleaner 'tube' output without the digital glare of the normal output.

Result
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Grant.

nice mod alan. i run both outputs into 4 speakers. cant say ive noticed the valve to be that bad although i prefer the ss, which goes to the main speakers. the tube goes to my little active ones on top for extention of the full range driver purposes
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Well done matey

I'm Justin.

I just ordered one to play with/mod.

Plus some bad boy valves. Believe it or not some Western Electric and Sylvania Gold pins. Will get the soldering iron out too I expect.

Western Electric Xiang. Has to be cool. Or crap. One of the two.

I'm Richard.

Hi Alan, interesting stuff. I know there are at least 3 different versions of the 01A.
    Was your Xiang Sheng the one with the Cirrus chip & upgraded TE7022 daughter board?

I'm Alan.

I believe so.

I'm Justin.

I went for what looks like an older one. More boxes to play with. And a French DAC 3 too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XiangShen...EAAOSw5cNYSBOc

I'm James.

What was the HT before the mod?

Jim.

I'm Alan.

Originally there is a simple shunt regulator on the board limiting the HT to +77V.
    The valve then sees 65 volts anode to cathode.

With simplification the HT is raised to +118V, then with a change of cathode resistance the valve sees 88V anode to cathode, could be made slightly more.

Around 90V is ideal for an ECC88 or PCC88.

I'm Tony.

Nice mod!

I bought one of these recently and it arrived with a very healthy channel imbalance across all outputs!

Tried to get a schematic but no joy at all. I don't suppose you have one?

Anyway, working blind my tech friend changed the LF353 opamp but no joy.

All the resistors around the chip seemed fine But he was getting weird readings around the pins either to Ground or to themselves.

Anyway, he bit the bullet and did a complete blanket change of all the electrolytic capacitors, some of very dubious make! He also removed the 8 pin socket which looked as though it could be contaminated, possibly chemicals from an electrolytic and thoroughly washed the board. Didn't have a spare 8 pin socket so made one from a 20 pin one.
    Caps replaced:-
    33 & C34 3.3uF 50V
    C37 & C38 47uF 25V
    C39 & C40 100uF 50V
    C43 & C44 3.3uF 50V
    C47 & C48 10uF 25V
    C81 & C82 10uF 25V
    Second board wash after fitting above and it now works, err well almost. The NORMAL outputs are spot on but the tube outputs have a small imbalance, the Left out is -1.2dB down. After 15 mins the imbalance drops to -0.8dB so maybe it is just the 6N3 valve? I going to try a 5670 GE..

Anyway, the joys of buying from China!
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast