+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Has Your Journey Been - Are You There Yet ?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Started buying records in 1983, bought my first separates system in 1988. So 30 years man and boy. I decided a few years ago that it was ridiculous that I am still mucking about with the system a quarter of a century later so vowed to get it all sorted, done, finished, and totally what I want, by the time I hit fifty. That means I've got just over 8 months to do it. Don't get me wrong what I have now is pretty good and I could live with it if there was no option. But although it is close, it isn't exactly the sound I am after.
    Have you heard the sound you are after
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Dennis.

The trouble is Martin that when we think that we have done it, that feeling gradually fades over the months as we learn and habituate, and our brain 'susses' the new illusion. Then we start again.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Nearly 50 years, and yes - more or less 'there', though I still like to tinker with cartridges.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

1971 first attempt at putting a 'Hi-Fi' together (dismally).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Have you heard the sound you are after
    Only in my imagination...I have heard systems that do different parts of the what I am after. The trick is to assemble them all in one place.

And yes, I know what you're thinking, and you're right.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Only in my imagination...I have heard systems that do different parts of the what I am after. The trick is to assemble them all in one place.

And yes, I know what you're thinking, and you're right.
    That's the difficult bit. When you heard all those bits they were in different systems in different rooms. The variables are infinite. If you were to assemble all those bits in your room they would almost certainly sound different!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That's the difficult bit. When you heard all those bits they were in different systems in different rooms. The variables are infinite. If you were to assemble all those bits in your room they would almost certainly sound different!
    Hence my interest in why things sound the way they sound. If you have that knowledge you should, in theory, be able to get the sound how you want it.

Or I could just carry on trying stuff at random. Big Tannoys are next.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Hence my interest in why things sound the way they sound. If you have that knowledge you should, in theory, be able to get the sound how you want it.

Or I could just carry on trying stuff at random. Big Tannoys are next.
    You have certainly got enough room for the Tannoys.

I am frustrated by the fact that the sound I would really like would mean a) a bigger room and b) bigger speakers - Oh yes and c) lots more money!

I'm Martin.

Money is the clincher. Big Tannoy DC appear to be the only realistically affordable 'super-speakers.' Unless you count QUAD ESL but impressive as they are that isn't the sound I am after.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Brook.

I have just revisited a post I put in the gallery here when I joined pondering if I had reached my end game or not, and of course I hadn't, in fact I have changed every single component at least once since and some by a factor of 3 or 4 chasing my dragon. However I must say that I have been pretty happy with all incarnations and they have all been similar, in that my amps have all been valve, similar with phono stages, and have only been trying to tweak rather than drastically change the sound I want. So no, I haven't, but have been close, and I wonder if that is the best one can hope for given a finite budget and room limitations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast