+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Has Your Journey Been - Are You There Yet ?

I'm Robert.

Default How Long Has Your Journey Been - Are You There Yet ?

Started here early 2011 and I'd say thats when the journey really 'took off' I'd been into music and sytems since childhood.

Am I there yet ? At times I thought I'd never make it, but gosh what a journey and YES !!! I've got there.

It's most definitely come together and I'm enjoying the music and find my system as thrilling as I ever hoped.

All the hard work, upgrades, open heart surgery on the Techie etc has been done.

The only thing I'll contemplate is hearing some Spendor D7's in my system at some point in the near future otherwise, no probs as currently every listen is a thrill
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dennis.

Different position Robbie, started in '67 as an apprentice, we all were interested and building stuff, and the music in 'the revolution' was very good. Then at 22 bought professional stuff, and progressed over the years, sometimes wrong directions, sometimes backwards.
    Now I have about £35k's worth in new prices, and am still wondering.

This is partly because the meaning of music and the art itself have changed so much; why buy a gold spoon with which to consume poison?
    But it can be good when we find a gem.
    Last edited by Pharos; 12-02-2018 at 23:24.

I'm paul.

Got back into it in 2007 as in my name, although had half decent kit as a teenager and spent many years recording.
    Been through open baffles, front horns and bass reflex single driver all diy with valve amps of various types. Dismissed solid state based on early ss guitar amps being lifeless. Had belt drive, meh, idler drive, bit more like it and lastly direct drive, spot on speed and straight from cold. Had mc carts, happy with mm, Shure ultra and currently Decca mk4. What have I learned? Room treatment or a good room is key.
    I like horns and single driver but the Zu's do it for me in a small room. Old jap crap solid state receiver does bass control better than expensive single ended valves but still good enough in the midrange and top end and at 1/15th of the price.
    I wouldn't say I'm done as only recently did I try the Decca even though I'm content. I just rarely see anything for sale that can tempt me.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm jamie.

i started in 2014,at the moment im very content,a small itch for a better amp but turntable wise im there.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Charlie.

I started in the late 70s as the saturday boy in Canterbury Hi-Fi - in those days a very small shop, managed by Ken Kessler. KK got me bitten by Decca cartridges and valve amps, and I've been going along ever since then.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Russell.

I started in 1975, at the age of 13, I built my first system. A Technics receiver, AKL speakers, and a very nice ADC ‘table. It sounded pretty great for the times.
    My second system was not so great, and left me wanting for my old stereo. So it wasn’t long before I started on my third system, which I kept for 20 years! An Adcom amp and preamp with Vandersteen 2c Speakers, Sony ES CD player, and Denon record player. A very nice system that did not leave me wanting. I wound up giving the whole system to my daughter and her husband.

So now I’m on my 4th system, and I am much, much closer to the Holy Grail than ever before! I am very pleased with what I have now, Krell driving Legacy Focus, a VPI table and Cary CD player. Magnum Dynalab tuner. I am very pleased with it, and was planning even more upgrades, but it’s sounding so right I’m holding off on any changes. Will this be my last system? It’s very possible! I may make a few more upgrades? But, it wouldn’t surprise me if I got the itch to build an even better system? Or perhaps a second system? I’ve always wanted a little tubed system for the bedroom. Building a HiFi is not a means to an end, it’s a hobby! The day you are finished is the day it stops being a hobby.

Russell

I'm Grant.

Been into music all my life but only in last 12 years did I start it up again after giving it up for family reasons(money and space and time to listen to it when working 7 days a week, 16 hrs a day) Obviously anyone's system can be improved in some way, and it can be much fun doing it, so no reason not to keep going if you can afford it. In a good place sound wise so glad Ive no choices to make being skint
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

The journey is never over, just regulated by finances. Imagine a long lost relative leaves you a few £100000 then the itch to move on would be unbearable.

So many folk on here have posted saying they have reached the end of the journey, only to pop up a few months later having bought something new or find they have another "itch" to scratch!

I'm gone.

My journey has taken about 45 years so far and still very enjoyable.

Am I there yet? A meaningless question for me and misses the point entirely.
    This will be the end of my journey --

I'm Martin.

Started buying records in 1983, bought my first separates system in 1988. So 30 years man and boy. I decided a few years ago that it was ridiculous that I am still mucking about with the system a quarter of a century later so vowed to get it all sorted, done, finished, and totally what I want, by the time I hit fifty. That means I've got just over 8 months to do it. Don't get me wrong what I have now is pretty good and I could live with it if there was no option. But although it is close, it isn't exactly the sound I am after.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast