+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Leak Stereo 30 Plus - Left Channel

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
    I would fix it too if it were mine. Not a great amp, but easy to work on and pleasant to listen to.

I expect you have seen this epay listing?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leak-Ster...AAAOSwLwBagfg9
    I saw the ebay auction and ignored it as it said Stereo 30 and 70 parts. On a closer look the boards look like the Stereo 30 Plus PReamp boards (S70PR).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
    I would fix it too if it were mine. Not a great amp, but easy to work on and pleasant to listen to.

I expect you have seen this epay listing?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leak-Ster...AAAOSwLwBagfg9
    I saw the ebay auction and ignored it as it said Stereo 30 and 70 parts. On a closer look the boards look like the Stereo 30 Plus PReamp boards (S70PR).
    Anyone know if the s70PR is the same boards on the 30 Plus and the 70?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Alan.

I'm 90% sure they are Stereo 30 Plus boards / parts. For these reasons:

They cannot be from a Stereo 30, they do not have boards.
    The component values on the ''OPA'' boards are typical 30 plus values. R42 is 12k ohms (brown red orange), R45 is 3.9k ohms (orange white red) and R49 is 22k ohms (red red orange). These values are 22k, 6.8k and 33k on Stereo 70s.
    And the ad does say the volume pot has a mains switch, the Stereo 70 has a push button on/off.

But, I've not seen one in a long time, and have never had both at the same time - so without a reference model I'm not 100% sure.

By the way, the pre-amp boards can go in either the left or right channel. But you should keep the driver boards (OPA boards) in their original locations as the idle current setting/adjustment will be specific to the output transistors.

Pictures of the faulty board might give a clue?

I'm Peter.

Thanks that all seem to stack up and thanks for the advice.
    The board does look identical to mine too.

I asked the seller and he said he was not aware there was a 30 Plus so maybe just a confusion.
    Other than the fact that I will need to pay almost as much as I paid for the amp (£30) to get the board (£19.90 +£5.65pp), I'll probably go for it.

Its great to have the amp I grew up with and it does sound wonderful at the moment when bypassing the preamp (replay / tape monitor) through my Klipsch H700.
    (This usually queues the Leak and Heresy haters )

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by pbroido View Post

Its great to have the amp I grew up with and it does sound wonderful at the moment when bypassing the preamp (replay / tape monitor) through my Klipsch H700.
    (This usually queues the Leak and Heresy haters )
    I bought one in mint condition with the tuner from the daughter of some old boy who had either died or gone into a home. I didn't really need it but it was only £20 for the pair. I leant it to a friend and he used it for several years with a tape deck and some small, unbranded speakers. He was getting a very listenable, tuneful sound, very open and sweet. Better in a lot of ways to what I was getting with equipment I'd paid proper money for. I'd guess that the Heresys are a really good match for that amp. Very efficient so the lack of power does not matter, and the natural sweetness of the Leak taking the potentially hard and shouty edge off the speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

If you have not got your amp sorted yet these might be of interest?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Ampli...oAAOSwVnlajhaz

I'm Peter.

Thanks Alan,
    I have been keeping an eye out for some. You seem to be quicker on ebay than me These have gone already.
    Ill continue to look if something comes up at a "reasonable" price or my patience wanes.
    If I get some time I may tinker with the board itself.

I'm Peter.

Does anyone know if the Leak Delta 30 preamp boards are the same as / compatible with the Stereo 30 plus?
    The internals look very similar but I don't seem to be able to fund any documentation or images of the Delta 30

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Yep, the pre-amp boards are just the same. The Delta 30 is a Stereo 30 Plus in new clothes.
    The component values are the same as are the connections.
    I would expect the components might be different styles and or makes, but that does not alter their functionality. If in doubt change them as a pair.

A quick search around also confirms that the pre-amp boards are common to the Leak Stereo 30 Plus, Delta 30, Leak Stereo 70, Delta 70 and even the Wharfdale Linton amplifier of the same Rank take over period.

Good luck! Alan

I'm Peter.

Finally got the Left channel sorted out. I managed to find a set of Preamp boards from a Stereo 70 on the forum. (Thanks Dan)

In my attempt to fix the board I did find out that the little inductor on the preamp PCB is a common culprit when trying to debug an issue on these amps. They are very flimsy and tend to break in transit.
    It has left me with 2 boards out of 4 I landed up with with broken inductors. If anyone knows if there is a simple replacement for these I would not mind seeing if I can get them working. Nothing important as it will fall to the back of list of little diy jobs I have lined up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast