+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Leak Stereo 30 Plus - Left Channel

I'm Peter.

Default Problem with Leak Stereo 30 Plus - Left Channel

Hi

I have a Leak Stereo 30 Plus which seems to have issues with one of the channels. When I got it, it had all the usual signs of sitting in a corner for years gathering dust. After spraying all the pots and switches and taking out the boards and cleaning the contacts with emery paper all the crackling etc seems to have disappeared. I do have a problem though that one of the channels is not working.

When connected to Replay: With the Tape Monitor off it plays through the Right Speaker. Tape Monitor on and it plays through both left and right.

When connected to Tuner 2: With Tape Monitor off it plays through Right Speaker. Tape monitor on it does not play through either speaker.

I have swapped the preamp boards around and then I get sound out of the Left Speaker in the above scenarios, so I guess the board itself is the problem. I also assume the Replay / Tape Monitor on bypasses the preamp boards?

Being a novice with electronics I was wondering if there was a way to diagnose the problem on the preamp board (any usual suspects)?, or should I look to find a replacement board that may be lying around?

Any advice appreciated

I'm dave.

Hi try this site as they are in London http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co....d-repair.shtml

Dave
    Any tool can be used as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel

I'm Geoff.

I wouldn't throw too much money at a Leak Stereo 30 Plus. You can easily invest more money than the amp is worth in getting repairs done and it's not the greatest amp around in the first place. If it's not an easy fix, put it away or sell it as it is. Your cash could be better spent on an alternative amp.

I'm Martin.

I disagree, their only issue is a lack of power. Otherwise they are very open and sweet-sounding. Worth fixing IMV.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the feedback. The purchase was largely nostalgic as this was the amp my father had and I spent hours listening to in my teenage (and pre teen) years. Even switching it on with that click of turning the volume knob bought back memories. I paid £40 for it so not a major drain on the finances. I was more concerned about arriving home with another piece of kit and my wifes reaction

Other that memories I was looking for a low powered amp to drive my early Klipsch Heresy's. The little listening I have managed through the combination when the preamp section is skipped sounds quite promising.
    So if I can pick up a preamp board going as parts or can fix the existing one for not much money I would consider it mission accomplished.

@nutteronthebus - thanks for the link, Ill give them a shout and see if they can help.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Lawrence.

When there are old plug in boards, it's always worth checking the plugs or pcb contacts and sockets for corrosion or oxidation, a bit of servisol or deoxit should sort that.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm dave.

on ebay there is a Leak stereo 30 book https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-L...wAAOSwU91aZItF

Dave

I'm dave.

hi this is a cct diagram of the Leak

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Peter.

Thanks Dave,
    The weekend is here so I can play with the amp a little more. Bought some Deoxit to see if that sorts out the channel issue. I fear that I am going to need to buy a bust up Stereo 30 Plus going for parts to sort out my problem.
    Will let you know how I get on this weekend.

P

I'm Alan.

I would fix it too if it were mine. Not a great amp, but easy to work on and pleasant to listen to.

I expect you have seen this epay listing?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leak-Ster...AAAOSwLwBagfg9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast