+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A little (surprise) history of my speakers (Lockwood Majors)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    It's common on AOS, for example, for folks to live in such Tannoy Bubbles and Turntable Bubbles, feeding on each others' enthusiasms.
    I think diversity of viewpoint should be celebrated and welcomed.
    Indeed, but there's a time and place for that, and this isn't it. Also, "bubble" is a little derogatory, when what you're referring to simply equates to the collective, honest (and very real) experiences being expressed by their owners.

Besides, you're only jealous because you rarely get the opportunity to feed off anyone's enthusiasm for MBLs!

[Not because they're not any good, but simply because few folks in the UK use them].

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lovely pussie

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

She just blends in, doesn't she?

Basically, if anything or anyone's getting more attention than her (or is the focal point), she'll rather quickly change that!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Dennis.

Well it seems Josie that I have had one of the worst Tannoys then; MG Lancasters, but they were used in Abbey Road at some stage, and I do still have a passion for them as pioneering speakers, and I'm not denigrating them.

Often wondered what the corner horns were like, the GRFs and Autographs for example.

The secluded positioning of yours is so much preferable to the 80s touted way to go of small to middle sized standmounts which take up so much space, are vulnerable, and to me, (they look so 'bitty'), just as imposing in the end as good floorstanders.

I'm Geoff.

The Lancasters are nice enough. They benefit from extra internal cabinet bracing and the bass extension is not as great as larger models, but I can't say it's seemed desperately lacking to me.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Well it seems Josie that I have had one of the worst Tannoys then; MG Lancasters, but they were used in Abbey Road at some stage, and I do still have a passion for them as pioneering speakers, and I'm not denigrating them.

Often wondered what the corner horns were like, the GRFs and Autographs for example.

The secluded positioning of yours is so much preferable to the 80s touted way to go of small to middle sized standmounts which take up so much space, are vulnerable, and to me, (they look so 'bitty'), just as imposing in the end as good floorstanders.
    Yours have a proper history, really quite amazing. They sound okay, but once you put 15" drivers in larger cabs the magic really happens. The sound is less compressed and the bass extension is really noticeable.

Yet, the Lancasters with 12" MG's are amazing. I've had some and for the size they really kicked ass.

LOL... yes, they are like wardrobes and the look for some is a little too simple but you forgive and forget that once your enjoying the toonz.

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I would put my speakers up with the very best in the 5k - 7k range. I've had 7k speakers before and nothing sounds as addictive as these.

A lot of people still remember tannoy from the old days. And the worst of the crop was the 15" MG's in Lancaster cabinets. Just simply not good.

The crossover in mine are fully updated too.

The 15" drivers are best in Big cabinets. Nothing like Lancasters. Chalk and cheese.

I know Jerry isn't a fan though. Lol

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    I've got just the monochrome paintings that would set off that room and Majors perfectly!;-)

I beg to differ on the dissing of the 15" Lancaster actually-in particular the corner variety, yes they are somewhat leaner than Yorks or Majors but given the room assistance that wall or/and corner placement affords them they can sound absolutely bloody marvellous. The Corner Lanc build is also rather more solid and resonance free than the Rectangular Lanc and another common mistake(with the 15") is to seal them up-they are meant to be aperiodic-ie leaky.

Frank

I'm Dennis.

Sorry, my English was ambiguous, it was not my own pair that were from Abbey Road, but the model that was used there, a picture of them appearing on this site recently.

I tend to agree about the Lancaster rectangular box with 15"s being box noisy, and that the 12" were better, but my 15"s were sealed when they came, a slat screwed over the front port. My friend and I loan/swapped one of his HPDs, a later version, same basic cab, and the top was slightly cleaner.

I'm frank.

The 12” is a reflex box is it has a port while the 15” has the blanking plate but they are supposed to be aperiodic rather than sealed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234