+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little (surprise) history of my speakers (Lockwood Majors)

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys.

Marco. I would like a bigger telly, but our olde Tosh Regza does the job famously.

I've not yet got it running through as a telly system but it's certainly on the cards and can't wait to sort it out.

Your right about never wanting to let go of them too. They are astoundingly great speakers. Giving everything in a Kong like scale.

I was thinking of getting them refurbished in the future but since I found out this news it's making me think again.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries. You've got to get them connected up to your TV, as movies would sound EPIC!

I wouldn't refurbish them, if you mean in terms of re-veneering them, as the Formica part of the cabs is a big part of their sound (I'm not kidding), and you can't turn the clock back afterwards... Nah, leave well alone, is my advice

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Thanks guys.

Marco. I would like a bigger telly, but our olde Tosh Regza does the job famously.

I've not yet got it running through as a telly system but it's certainly on the cards and can't wait to sort it out.

Your right about never wanting to let go of them too. They are astoundingly great speakers. Giving everything in a Kong like scale.

I was thinking of getting them refurbished in the future but since I found out this news it's making me think again.
    Lol, I have the exact same one Josie and as you say it does indeed do the the job famously
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-919 Complete overhaul, upgraded, re-capped. Caps upgraded from 4 x 15,000 uf to 4 x 20,000 uf-inside original oval caps. All glue and 'black flags' removed
    Turntable - Modified Technics SL1210 MK5G
    Mike New precision bearing, bearing base plate, ETP Platter
    Micro Seiki MA-202 tonearm, rewired, hybrid ceramic bearings
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge
    Yannis Tome 423.5 Silver-Litz tonearm cable with KLEI Pure Silver Harmony plugs
    Ebony armboard
    Audio Technica MS-8 Magnesium headshell, Ortofon pure silver headshell leads
    Isonoe Isolation Feet
    Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules), DCSXL pure-silver DC lead with Jaegar low impedance connector
    CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Mission 752 Freedom
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable, Airlock plugs - bare wire amp end.
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket, Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs with Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dennis.

I love the recessed positioning which avoids the dominance of large speakers in a room to a great extent.
    I also wonder when you eulogise them, what has been happening in speaker development in the last 55 years.

I agree with Marco about large TVs dominating rooms these days, but music has taken a downturn. I have a large screen to enable surfing from 10 feet away.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I also wonder when you eulogise them, what has been happening in speaker development in the last 55 years.
    Not everyone loves big Tannoys.
    I think what has been happening in speaker development over the last 55 years is substantial advances in driver, crossover and cabinet materials and technology, resulting in the reduction in resonances and general colourations.
    Jerry

Spotify Premium streaming, Laptop / Halide Bridge, Audiolab 8200CD DAC, Schiit Saga passive/active preamp, >>amp de jour<<, MBL 116F.

Amps:
    Firebottle AIR
    LA Audio A30 el84 integrated
    Wadia 151 PowerDAC
    Trigon TRE 50 Monoendstufen << Currently playing

Cables:
    Wireworld Starlight USB
    Ixos Ixotica or Wireworld Oasis i/c
    Western Electric 16GA or W&M speaker cables
    Ixos 105 digital co-ax & XO TOSLINK

I'm Dennis.

I meant it somewhat satirically Jerry, I used to have Tannoy Lancs. in the 70s, and the guy who sold them to me in '71 said that he was changing because of their colouration.

Of course the points you raise are all the areas which have had attention, though how "substantial" is open to question.
    We are on the whole, all though many on this forum have numerous systems, unable to compare our systems which have evolved over time, and which would be very interesting in order to assess real progress.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, but ALL speakers are coloured to some degree, Jerry darling, including yours!

So, in the final analysis, all we can do is choose our favoured form of coloration, or that which least offends our ears, and live with it, if otherwise we enjoy the noise that our speakers make

Btw, let's bear in mind that this is Jo's thread, where she's just posted pics of her pride and joys in situ in her new house, and no doubt would prefer the discussion to be centred around positive comments, so let's not turn it into an anti-Tannoy thread crap...

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Josie.

I would put my speakers up with the very best in the 5k - 7k range. I've had 7k speakers before and nothing sounds as addictive as these.

A lot of people still remember tannoy from the old days. And the worst of the crop was the 15" MG's in Lancaster cabinets. Just simply not good.

The crossover in mine are fully updated too.

The 15" drivers are best in Big cabinets. Nothing like Lancasters. Chalk and cheese.

I know Jerry isn't a fan though. Lol

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Surprisingly few people have actually heard a good pair of big Tannoys.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

Last week I found that I had an email plonked in to my Junk folder. The email was from the person I bought my Lockwood Major speaker cabinets from a few years ago.

When I bought them I was curious on knowing where they were in the past. Being Lockwood Majors it was pretty much given that the would have been resident in a sound studio at some point.

Anyway, I asked if he had any information about them to which I had no reply.

Then in March 2016! - (I don't check my junk spam/junk enough do I?) I found an email from him. Although it was over a year since I emailed him it was great to read what he had to say.

He said the cabinets belonged to a producer (to which he couldn't remember unfortunately) who worked at a studio called Chappell? He said that there was a wall of them in the studio and he took a pair when the studio got refitted back in the 70's.

So, I had a quick skoot and came up with this picture which is really quite astonishing.

Chappell Studio's late 1960's early 70's I presume

These were in the 60's judging by the desk and the chair.

And today?

Although a little worn around the edges, for their age they look fine... And yes, sounding absolutely splendid.

Anyway, thought I'd just share this nugget of good fortune with you all. I'm going to check my Junk folder more often.... lol

Thanks
    Aesthetically, I like your room, but don't you get neck pain from watching your tv at that angle/height. Ergonomics is a much neglected issue in hifi and audio-visuals. I managed to fracture my spine doing building work as a student so have to ensure I do not exacerbate the problem. Spending much of my time in front of a pc doesn't help. I have reduced the problem by buying a 32" 4K AOC monitor, which is vertically adjustable. I have it so that it is level with my eyes two thirds down its height, and angled so that the top of the screen is forward inclined. This means I am looking very slightly upwards, and the plane of the screen is parallel to me. I also bought an Ikea Markus office chair. This has very good lumbar support, but most importantly, is fully height adjustable so that my knees are at a right angle when I am working. An extra plus, though not really ergonomics, is that the monitor settings allow for reduction of uv for good eye health.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast