+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A little (surprise) history of my speakers (Lockwood Majors)

I'm Josie.

Default A little (surprise) history of my speakers (Lockwood Majors)

Hi all.

Last week I found that I had an email plonked in to my Junk folder. The email was from the person I bought my Lockwood Major speaker cabinets from a few years ago.

When I bought them I was curious on knowing where they were in the past. Being Lockwood Majors it was pretty much given that the would have been resident in a sound studio at some point.

Anyway, I asked if he had any information about them to which I had no reply.

Then in March 2016! - (I don't check my junk spam/junk enough do I?) I found an email from him. Although it was over a year since I emailed him it was great to read what he had to say.

He said the cabinets belonged to a producer (to which he couldn't remember unfortunately) who worked at a studio called Chappell? He said that there was a wall of them in the studio and he took a pair when the studio got refitted back in the 70's.

So, I had a quick skoot and came up with this picture which is really quite astonishing.

Chappell Studio's late 1960's early 70's I presume

These were in the 60's judging by the desk and the chair.

And today?

Although a little worn around the edges, for their age they look fine... And yes, sounding absolutely splendid.

Anyway, thought I'd just share this nugget of good fortune with you all. I'm going to check my Junk folder more often.... lol

Thanks
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 11-02-2018 at 15:54.

I'm Grant.

look good josie, as does new surroundings
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/M55E/EMOTIVA XPS1 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, DEEZER HiFi - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Josie.

Thanks Grant.

Yes, it was a nice bit of reading and research. I replied but nothing back yet... might take him another year to get round to it... LOL I want to know his relationship with this producer guy and if he's still about. It might even be the ol chap in the pic... LOL

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

Last week I found that I had an email plonked in to my Junk folder. The email was from the person I bought my Lockwood Major speaker cabinets from a few years ago.

When I bought them I was curious on knowing where they were in the past. Being Lockwood Majors it was pretty much given that the would have been resident in a sound studio at some point.

Anyway, I asked if he had any information about them to which I had no reply.

Then in March 2016! - (I don't check my junk spam/junk enough do I?) I found an email from him. Although it was over a year since I emailed him it was great to read what he had to say.

He said the cabinets belonged to a producer (to which he couldn't remember unfortunately) who worked at a studio called Chappell? He said that there was a wall of them in the studio and he took a pair when the studio got refitted back in the 70's.

So, I had a quick skoot and came up with this picture which is really quite astonishing.

Chappell Studio's late 1960's early 70's I presume

These were in the 60's judging by the desk and the chair.

And today?

Although a little worn around the edges, for their age they look fine... And yes, sounding absolutely splendid.

Anyway, thought I'd just share this nugget of good fortune with you all. I'm going to check my Junk folder more often.... lol

Thanks
    I like the way your room looks so neat and tidy with pretty big speakers in what looks an average size room
    cambridge audio azur 651w power amp, novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, tannoy dc4t]
    , van damme blue series interconnects, van damme studio blue 4mm speaker cable, klotz mc 5000 ,klotz silver hybrid, thanks Brian, fisual hollywood optical cable,, pioneer bdp170, akg k 550

I'm Geoff.

Might be your pair in the piccie Jo.

I'm Josie.

Thanks, LOL... yes, I've tidied up... The kids are at their grandma's. It will be a real mess when they come back. LOL

Your right, it's pretty average size yet the speakers fit nicely and sound really nice.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Might be your pair in the piccie Jo.
    Yes, well I think it's very likely, Geoff. Nice to know.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Thanks, LOL... yes, I've tidied up... The kids are at their grandma's. It will be a real mess when they come back. LOL

Your right, it's pretty average size yet the speakers fit nicely and sound really nice.
    Well kids will always make it look lived inbut it's good to see that big speakers don't necessarily have to dominate a room
    cambridge audio azur 651w power amp, novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, tannoy dc4t]
    , van damme blue series interconnects, van damme studio blue 4mm speaker cable, klotz mc 5000 ,klotz silver hybrid, thanks Brian, fisual hollywood optical cable,, pioneer bdp170, akg k 550

I'm Robert.

The pics, the story, everything - excellent!
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Modified Technics SL1210 MK5G
    Mike New precision bearing, bearing base plate, ETP Platter
    Micro Seiki MA-202 tonearm, rewired, hybrid ceramic bearings
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge
    Yannis Tome 423.5 Silver-Litz tonearm cable with KLEI Pure Silver Harmony plugs
    Ebony armboard
    Audio Technica MS-8 Magnesium headshell, Ortofon pure silver headshell leads
    Isonoe Isolation Feet
    Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules), DCSXL pure-silver DC lead with Jaegar low impedance connector
    CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable, Airlock plugs - bare wire amp end.
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket, Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs with Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Great stuff, Jo - a wonderful story (and pics)! Room is looking good

I was told by the chap I bought mine from, at Big Ears, that they were in a control room in Abbey Road at some point, but sadly there are no pics of such. As you know, they're brilliant speakers that do so much right, musically, and with such poise and effortlessness, that it's so easy for them to become one's 'final' pair of speakers.

I wouldn't ever sell my Lockies (what on earth would I 'upgrade' them to?), and I'm sure you feel the same way about yours.... I hope you've got your TV running through them, as you certainly wouldn't need a sub!!

Anyway, enjoy, and respect for having bigger speakers than a television, as these days it's almost always the other way round! Keep on boogieing, baby...

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast