+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Philips AD7063/M4

I'm Pavel.

Default Philips AD7063/M4

Now that I got new and shiny Usher S520 speakers, I'm trying to decide what to do with my old Philips full-range bookshelf speakers.

These are small boxes (slightly larger than the Ushers) each containing one Philips AD7063/M4 driver.

The boxes themselves are ridiculous: made of thin chipboard and covered with vinyl film which has become slightly sticky with age (ew). The bass reflex port is just a small round hole in the front panel, no tube.

However, the drivers themselves seem to be well regarded.

They have very soft treated cloth surrounds and the cones are indeed purplish-blue in colour Voltage sensitivity seems to be 95 dB/2.83V/m if I'm reading the spec sheet correctly. Both drivers were made in the 3rd week of 1982.

I'm wondering if the drivers are worth keeping or if I should just donate the speakers to a charity shop. They sound quite good even in the ridiculous Philips enclosures: the top midrange is a bit shouty and the bass extension is obviously lacking, but they excel at reproducing chorale and chamber music.

I'm Alex.

Nearly all the Philips speaker units that I have come across are pretty good.

This is what someone did with similar units to yours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgRf0BKeozw
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Philips drivers are pretty decent. Put those in a suitable reflex box.

Or, if you don't know what to do with them, offer them on Private Exhibitions, I'm sure somebody would snap them up (maybe me ). They're far too good for a charity shop, where some skint kid will take them home and bugger them up.

I'm Pavel.

Thanks, it seems the drivers are indeed quite decent. I will think what to do with them and then maybe list them for sale here :-)

+ Reply to Thread