I came across this forum by searching news about my Gyrodec MKI and thought to stop by and give a look.

Long story short, well, this doesn't work any longer when approaching the 50s but I will try and be short, my first shopping into the hi-fi dates back to when I was 14 or 15, at first I got a turntable, a Techics SL-D303 and a Shore M75HE (I still have both), then it came a Sansui AU-D7 (back then Sansui was big!) and then the JBL4311B which still make my speakers after over 30 years (also the Sansui is still sitting on a shelf).

There has been a break into my hi-fi experience and that's normal to explore other shores when you are a teen but after my service in the Navy I bought my first CD player, a stunning Sony X505ES (which I just sent to fix), I can't forget when I opened it to admire the wonderful copper frame, what a beauty and what a beast.

I never had a place for the stereo setup but in my early 30s I moved to another place after I became a parent and more or less a few years later I found a spot for the JBL (don't laugh, they are sitting on two garden chairs which I am using stands like, the height is ok, look not as much but who cares...), my first love was the turntable, I remember when as a teen I saw the Oracle Delphi and it was love at first sight, could never afford to buy one, it was as expensive as a small car and I had other things where to address my limited resources but a couple years ago I met a friend whose dad was a passionate hi-fi collector and he invited me to go and see the setup (the dad passed away a short while earlier and he wanted me to help and sell some of the stuff for him), not to make it too long I saw the Michell Gyrodec and I wanted it, it took me almost two years to get it but I made it mine along with an Audio Research SP9 and a Kiseki step up (I know, I know, lucky...), a year later I also got a chinese power amp, a twin KT88 Aeron AP890 and that's my actual setup.

I gotta say that switching from the Adcom GFP345 and GFA535 to the tubes has been a big difference, sound totally different, where before I could barely hear voices and the mid-high range now I have to attenuate it (proof that the JBL caps still work after 35 years!), dunno if I like it or not this new sound but I have to get used probably and have to tweak a few things before I can say something but now my goal is to put the Gyrodec back in working conditions (need belts and pick-up wires) so I can listen to my old records and get hypnotized by the spinning plate.

Hopefully I can put the Gyro in 100% working conditions (it was set up for two tonearms but I don't need that so the Zeta has to go and will be going on sale soon) and also get back my Sony CD player soon so that I can travel with what I call my "time machine" being my old stereo setup and hopefully next autumn I can switch the 4311b for a pair of L220 which I also saw at my friend's place which also have to go.

Thank you for hosting me here

Giovanni
Capri - Italy