+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello everybody

I'm Giovanni.

Default Hello everybody

I came across this forum by searching news about my Gyrodec MKI and thought to stop by and give a look.

Long story short, well, this doesn't work any longer when approaching the 50s but I will try and be short, my first shopping into the hi-fi dates back to when I was 14 or 15, at first I got a turntable, a Techics SL-D303 and a Shore M75HE (I still have both), then it came a Sansui AU-D7 (back then Sansui was big!) and then the JBL4311B which still make my speakers after over 30 years (also the Sansui is still sitting on a shelf).

There has been a break into my hi-fi experience and that's normal to explore other shores when you are a teen but after my service in the Navy I bought my first CD player, a stunning Sony X505ES (which I just sent to fix), I can't forget when I opened it to admire the wonderful copper frame, what a beauty and what a beast.

I never had a place for the stereo setup but in my early 30s I moved to another place after I became a parent and more or less a few years later I found a spot for the JBL (don't laugh, they are sitting on two garden chairs which I am using stands like, the height is ok, look not as much but who cares...), my first love was the turntable, I remember when as a teen I saw the Oracle Delphi and it was love at first sight, could never afford to buy one, it was as expensive as a small car and I had other things where to address my limited resources but a couple years ago I met a friend whose dad was a passionate hi-fi collector and he invited me to go and see the setup (the dad passed away a short while earlier and he wanted me to help and sell some of the stuff for him), not to make it too long I saw the Michell Gyrodec and I wanted it, it took me almost two years to get it but I made it mine along with an Audio Research SP9 and a Kiseki step up (I know, I know, lucky...), a year later I also got a chinese power amp, a twin KT88 Aeron AP890 and that's my actual setup.

I gotta say that switching from the Adcom GFP345 and GFA535 to the tubes has been a big difference, sound totally different, where before I could barely hear voices and the mid-high range now I have to attenuate it (proof that the JBL caps still work after 35 years!), dunno if I like it or not this new sound but I have to get used probably and have to tweak a few things before I can say something but now my goal is to put the Gyrodec back in working conditions (need belts and pick-up wires) so I can listen to my old records and get hypnotized by the spinning plate.

Hopefully I can put the Gyro in 100% working conditions (it was set up for two tonearms but I don't need that so the Zeta has to go and will be going on sale soon) and also get back my Sony CD player soon so that I can travel with what I call my "time machine" being my old stereo setup and hopefully next autumn I can switch the 4311b for a pair of L220 which I also saw at my friend's place which also have to go.

Thank you for hosting me here

Giovanni
    Capri - Italy

I'm Grant.

welcome giovanni. hope you enjoy the forum. there are a few gyro owners here
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Giovanni. Welcome to AOS.

JBL speakers are popular here. I'm sure members can advise on the Gyro, just start a thread in the Analogue Arts section and ask some questions.

There's plenty going on here, so get involved and chat with folk.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread