+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve amps - what should I consider next?

I'm Peter.

Default Valve amps - what should I consider next?

I really enjoy the valve amps I have had in my system, but my experience is limited. So far, I have had a WAD KEL84, which is my first valve amp and is currently back in. And, a Leak Stereo 20. The Leak just pipped the WAD, but I do really like listening to that first valve amp.

My question is, what should I try next? It's time to move on from the Leak, and I'd like to get pointers towards other flavours that can be got from valve amps. My budget is quite modest (£1k is too much), I listen to CD and vinyl, folk to rock and all stops in between. Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated ...

Edited to add, my speakers are Tannoy System 800s. And, I'm not very technically minded, so simple easy to use amps are my preference (I'm not averse to learning new things, though).
    Peter

I'm Ian.

Always wondered how these perform (if 8w is sufficient)....

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/easte...fier-839-p.asp

.....and used of course for your budget.

I had a mint Leak 20, Classique re-built and let it go years go. My one significant Hi Fi regret ! Careful there ;-). Perhaps consider a Classique Sounds treatment if your 20 has not been serviced ?

I'm Alex.

Noticed this on ebay, over £1000 though, probably still a good investment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radford-S...r/263490745702
    Spendorman

I'm Brook.

Do you intend to buy new or used?

If used there is a Orion Adonis in the classifieds that has a good reputation & is a great value used buy.

I'm gone.

After the WAD and the Leak you really need to try something other than an el84 power valve, excellent though they are and probably my favourite power valve.
    Every valve type has a characteristic sound.
    6550, KT90, 300B ... etc ... all different.
    And then there's the circuit they are used in, yet more variance.

Ideally, I think an auto-bias amp would be good - so you can do tube rolling without having to reset the power valves' bias each time.

But, if you fancy trying yet another flavour of el84, I have been pondering moving on my LA Audio A30 integrated amp. http://www.laaudio.com.tw/products_d...?id=34&lang=en
    It's got auto-bias so you can try el84 from all the names like JJ and Mullard etc without worrying about the bias. My choice is currently Reflektor - transparent and dynamic. Yum.
    It owes me over £500 with the various valves that go with it - but I would sell for £400.
    And Bristol is not far.

I'm Steve.

What about a bigger WAD amp? I may know of a 6550 one with kt120s in that Is about to become available as my mate has moved to a Sonneteer Alabaster for marital harmony reasons.
    I've had many MANY valve amps and am currently using a prima Luna prologue 1 and it's a corker . Better than a few of the more expensive amps I've used. You can buy these for 5-600 quid. Peak hifi had the KT88 version on their used section. Worth a look.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    What about a bigger WAD amp? I may know of a 6550 one with kt120s in that Is about to become available as my mate has moved to a Sonneteer Alabaster for marital harmony reasons.
    I've had many MANY valve amps and am currently using a prima Luna prologue 1 and it's a corker . Better than a few of the more expensive amps I've used. You can buy these for 5-600 quid. Peak hifi had the KT88 version on their used section. Worth a look.
    Agreed - and Tannoys love big beam pentodes. I would recommend a good push-pull valve amp with 6550s, KT88s, KT90s or KT120s. Sounds like Steve's mate's one is worth a punt.

(And apologies to Jerry but I would say Series 800s need a bit more welly, much as I'm also a fan of the EL84).

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    (And apologies to Jerry but I would say Series 800s need a bit more welly, much as I'm also a fan of the EL84).
    I had three pairs of the System 800 and found them really easy to drive. Sensitivity is high for an 8" driver at 92db.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No worries, as stated before I am all for Peter investigating other valve types.
    Strange as it may seem, it's possible to have too many el84 amps.

I'm Geoff.

My EL34 monoblocks sound superb with every set of Tannoys I've tried. Plenty of grip and lovely midrange. Better than my faithful old Leak Stereo 20.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast