+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for a bit of fun

I'm Andy.

Default Just for a bit of fun

This is a question that l have given a little thought to lately regarding the the seemingly never ending upgrades for the SL1200, and the forthcoming platter upgrades, and upgrades that are not yet known about (but will surely come), do any members feel that a fully fettled SL1200( keep in mind future upgrades) could eventually out-perform the SP10 at any point- or is the SP10 just too far ahead, keeping arm/cartridges the same? I leave this open to the floor, and remember it is just a bit of fun.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I suspect that with the bearing upgrades and external supplies, there won't be a lot in it if the 1200 is mounted in an external plinth allowing use of 12" arms...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Well Dave Cawley is surely the best person to ask ! has a very nice SP10/SME V set up with a shelter 501 ' as well as the 1210/250st/OC9 .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Once they come out with a platter, base and motor upgrade there won't be anything Technics left except the name plate.

Actually if Dave Cawley thought about it he could make his own turntables.

We could be all spinning "Cawleys" in the near future.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm Dave.

Well the motor assembly is rather unique on Technics tables and supposedly the strong point. The SP10 motor has more torque but I can't imagine really needing more than what the SL1200 already offers. I'm slowly saving for the mike new bearing and time step power supply to replace the KAB and I can't wait to hear them.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I'm Chris.

You won't regret it ' there are quite a few folks knocking what Dave is doing ' i don't think he is that shallow to call it the Cawley 1200 ' remember he sell's Avid/SME/Clearaudio deck's too ' his upgrades enable me to have an affordable taste of high end vinyl replay .
    Chris

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    ..... ' there are quite a few folks knocking what Dave is doing ' ....
    Hi Chris, if you are referring to all those over on VE don't forget they are trying to flog their own upgrades as well.

Cheers

I'm Chris.

Hi Ralph ' oh yes i sussed them out what a bunch of Charlatans if i can say that out loud !
    Chris

Dave is like Cooper with Mini, Shelby with Ford etc.

He is taking a good product and making it much better, that deserves some recognition IMO.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean View Post
    Well the motor assembly is rather unique on Technics tables and supposedly the strong point. The SP10 motor has more torque but I can't imagine really needing more than what the SL1200 already offers. I'm slowly saving for the mike new bearing and time step power supply to replace the KAB and I can't wait to hear them.
    Its arguable that it needs more torque than even the Mk2 has, the Mk3 motor is a good deal more powerful but does also have a heavier platter to control.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast