+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You A Hoarder?

TheMooN Guest

I Do Not Have A Problem, 'Some' of the vintage Amplication Off of the top of my head.

4 x Sansui AU-111
    3x PYE HF25
    2x PYE PF91
    3x Armstrong A10
    6x Audiomaster 11A
    1X Sansui AU-999
    1X Sansui AU-9500
    2X Leak 12.1
    2X Lowther LL16

I'm Martin.

yes having loads of hi-fi equipment isn't hoarding. neither is having loads of records or books.

Hoarding used to mean you were keeping stocks of petrol or something, like in wartime when there was rationing.

Now it seems to mean those people who can't throw anything away. But they seem to me to be distinct from people who just can't be arsed to tidy up, like my pal.

However if they are hoarding complete rubbish, which some do, it can be hard to ascertain the difference between them at first glance.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I agree with the comments about hating rooms decorated in a 'minimalist' style, which in reality just look too forensic and cold, ably evidenced by some of the system pics posted on forums, where the rooms are so empty it appears as if the pictures were taken not long after the house was burgled!

So I don't sign up to that, nor do I to the opposite, as I simply couldn't live in a tip, but I do like my favourite possessions around me, and for the house to look cosy and 'lived in'. However it needs to be clean (not forensically so), but so that there's no visible dirt or dust around, and I spend around 2 hours a day, whilst listening to music, cleaning the house to that effect - particularly our new kitchen, which I'm determined to keep looking nice!

The two rooms I keep the cleanest are the bathroom and kitchen, as I can't abide those areas being dirty, not simply for health reasons, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable living in a house with a visibly dirty kitchen or bathroom - and to an extent I keep the lounge the same way, although that can sometimes get cluttered, as we like out antiques and collectible 'bits and pieces', which our old lodge lends itself to.

Fortunately I have a dedicated room for the main hi-fi system (and all my CDs and records, which combined amount to around 7000 albums), so that tends to house all the clutter, keeping the rest of the house reasonably tidy. I also like to keep my wine and drinks collection tidy and organised, which currently amounts to just over 200 bottles, not including various aperitifs and spirits.

So am I a hoarder? Not really... I do have a fair amount of 'stuff', but it's kept reasonably tidy in its appropriate areas, and I'm not averse to getting rid of things when necessary. Del's probably more of a hoarder than me!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

I suppose i'm a bit of a mixture as I do have a lot of hi-fi equipment (24 turntables, 13 pairs of speakers, god knows how many amplifiers etc.) but I cannot abide a mess. I like the house tidy and I like everything in it proper place. Mrs B. tends to drape her clothes over the stair bannister or on the end of our bed when she comes in from work and gets changed - does my nut in!!

I also like to keep the house clean, although that's mainly due to my eczema. When I was last allergy tested, I was told that I had one of the highest scores for allergy to house dust that their lab had ever seen!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Do you really care? I don't give a bugger what anybody thinks and I've got loads of excess and not just Hi-Fi.
    Well I realised I do because you can see them tighten their shoulders or look plain uncomfortable. My father just lays in like he doesnt understand the need for any more than a couple of cds or a handful of books.

They all have similar sized rooms to mine but taking my shelves out wouldnt free up the room to start a dance studio. Two target style racks of hifi and one with games consoles on seems to overwhelm some people.

I look over at my book shelves and I wouldnt get rid of any of them. There a very good reference books together with fiction. This is why I find it hard to understand people who seem to think a few things is enough.

I dont collect rubbish and I enjoy throwing many things away. If I really dont like something out it goes.

I dont want everything in this world but there is plenty of nice stuff about. Maybe I am too attached to stuff but Im not trapped by it.

I am nowhere near the extremes but feel judged by the minimalist brigade so yes it has been bothering me. I might put doors up on the shelves to hide it more

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I suppose i'm a bit of a mixture as I do have a lot of hi-fi equipment (24 turntables, 13 pairs of speakers, god knows how many amplifiers etc.)
    You should give us some subjective reviews of what you have Adam, I'm sure you have some good classic and vintage gear. Could be interesting. But maybe you've had enough of reviewing .

I'm Neil.

Default Are You A Hoarder?

Music collections don’t count as hoarding, nor do books, movies or any media. Now, if you have 10x amps and 10x DACs, and only use 1 of each, you could be accused of being a hoarder. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

YOU MAY BE A HOARDER IF ........

a) You feel antagonism towards those with space in their garage for a car, or even a bicycle.

b) You spend a lot of your time explaining the difference between collecting and hoarding.

c) You cannot recall the colour or pattern of the carpet in your spare room, or even if it is carpeted.

d) You cannot list all the hifi and audiovisual equipment you own on both sides of an A4 page (in Arial 10 font, no cheating!).

e) You fidget uncomfortably when you hear the word "minimalism" and worry that a twitch may be developing.

f) Your movements though your spare room resemble those of Maxwell Smart trying to avoid laser defences.

I'm Geoff.

My carpet has no pattern. And I can see small bits of it! So there!!

I'm Grant.

currently cant move through spare room, but its improving.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast