+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You A Hoarder?

I'm Martin.

What's wrong with being a hoarder anyway? So what if you have piles of crap half-way to the ceiling and little gunnels in amongst it so you can get from one room to the other? Your house, your life, your choice.

You are not conforming to societal norms! Oh no! Does anyone really give a shit? And if they do are they not the one with the problem?

Worst case I ever saw was at the house of a friend's mother on the south coast. You got a taste for what was to come in the entrance hall. This had been lined with crudely made bookshelves from floor to ceiling which held VHS tapes of what, at the time, was pretty much every Dr Who episode ever. Rooms were piled with crap, mainly old newspapers and magazines, to about 5 feet in height. The only place you could move about a bit was in the kitchen and the cellar. None of this bothered me, the deal breaker for me was that they had a baby and it had crapped everywhere and they had not cleaned it up. Now that was nasty.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Am I a hoarder?

Definitely not

I'm an advanced hoarder
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

I remember this when it was first on TV

https://youtu.be/OOa35VD9q94
    Spendorman

I'm gone.

I'm a box swapper.
    I swap.
    If a new toy comes in, you can be reasonably sure that something else will go.
    The idea of keeping stuff I've done with is baffling to me.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'm a box swapper.
    Are you? Can't say I'd noticed mate.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What's wrong with being a hoarder anyway? So what if you have piles of crap half-way to the ceiling and little gunnels in amongst it so you can get from one room to the other? Your house, your life, your choice.

You are not conforming to societal norms! Oh no! Does anyone really give a shit? And if they do are they not the one with the problem?

Worst case I ever saw was at the house of a friend's mother on the south coast. You got a taste for what was to come in the entrance hall. This had been lined with crudely made bookshelves from floor to ceiling which held VHS tapes of what, at the time, was pretty much every Dr Who episode ever. Rooms were piled with crap, mainly old newspapers and magazines, to about 5 feet in height. The only place you could move about a bit was in the kitchen and the cellar. None of this bothered me, the deal breaker for me was that they had a baby and it had crapped everywhere and they had not cleaned it up. Now that was nasty.
    ginnels
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, and I completely agree. However... The key point is whether or not the 'hoarder' in question, deep down, is GENUINELY HAPPY with that state of affairs, or whether it's a reflection of the opposite and perhaps indicates a form of depression, or some other psychological condition? If they're genuinely happy, then there's nothing more to discuss.

However, often I find that folk with exceptionally mucky and untidy homes aren't happy within themselves, and so the mess is a refection of how they feel about their lives (often they may not even realise that), but on the outside try to kid themselves on (and others) that all is well and that they're just a 'bit quirky'... If that's the case, then they *do* have a problem.

Plus, when the untidiness and mess gets to such an extent that you can hardly move for it, or clearing it up would involve major work, it's difficult to motivate yourself to tackle the problem, and much easier just to block it out and pretend that it doesn't exist [or keep putting off the task of tidying it for another day that never comes] - but you can bet your boots that if a team of cleaners knocked on the door and offered to clear it up for free, most would jump at the chance, and afterwards feel much better for it!!

Which goes to show that, despite what they might've said (and the 'front' that they were putting on), they weren't happy in the first place The fact is, living amongst lots of mess would get most people down, as it unquestionably causes stress, so if you're honest with yourself, don't deny it; do something about it, and in most cases, change your life for the better.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, and I completely agree. However... The key point is whether or not the 'hoarder' in question, deep down, is GENUINELY HAPPY with that state of affairs, or whether it's a reflection of the opposite and perhaps indicates a form of depression, or some other psychological condition? If they're genuinely happy, then there's nothing more to discuss.

However, often I find that folk with exceptionally mucky and untidy homes aren't happy within themselves, and so the mess is a refection of how they feel about themselves and their lives (often they may not even realise it), but on the outside try to kid themselves on (and others) that all is well and that they're just a 'bit quirky'... If that's the case, then they *do* have a problem.

Plus, when the untidiness and mess gets to such an extent that you can hardly move for it, or clearing it up would involve major work, it's difficult to motivate yourself to tackle the problem, and much easier just to pretend that it doesn't exist [or keep putting the task off for another day that never comes] - but you can bet your boots that if a team of cleaners knocked on the door and offered to clear it up for free, most would jump at the chance, and afterwards feel much better for it!!

Actually if you watch any of these hoarder shows (like the one Alex posted a link to earlier) you'd see that is not always the case. People get attached to their junk and don't want to lose it or have it cleared up. That actually causes them stress. They might have a problem but that is their business, unless it becomes a problem for someone else, a health or safety hazard for example. Otherwise it isn't for anyone else pass judgement.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Actually if you watch any of these hoarder shows (like the one Alex posted a link to earlier) you'd see that is not always the case. People get attached to their junk and don't want to lose it or have it cleared up. That actually causes them stress. They might have a problem but that is their business, unless it becomes a problem for someone else, a health or safety hazard for example. Otherwise it isn't for anyone else pass judgement.
    Indeed, but often too (as I've watched those programmes), they're relived when someone has tidied up the mess, and given them a clean 'blank canvas', from which to maintain a tidy home in future. That often happens, and they're much happier for the experience; in fact it's often life-changing for them!

Like I said, it's ALL about whether the person involved is genuinely happy with their 'hoarding'. Sometimes they're kidding themselves on, when they say that they are, as it's natural to find it difficult sometimes to admit/confront, and then deal with, a very real problem.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Yes, there is a conflict between wanting to live 'normally' and the emotional attachment to all the crap. However I'm not keen on the idea that people should be compelled to do something that is against their wishes because 'It is for their own good.' Even if it is.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast